Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Fabric When Sewing >

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Wandering Fabric When Sewing

Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Am wondering if any one has a solution to my problem. I have a Brother QC-1000. When sewing a 1/4" seam (and probably others) my fabric "swims" around on the machine; not a lot but to be constantly not on track with that 1/4". Am holding fabric gently. It's frustrating. The surface is very slick. My Pfaff is not like this and the surface is "dull".

Is there perhaps something I can put on the machine to lessen the "swimming" yet not prevent the fabric from moving?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM

I have a low-end brother that I bought at Wal-mart. It swims too. I always thought it was me until I got my Janome a few years ago. I was astounded to find that my Janome "wants" to sew straight and my Brother just doesn't. My stitching dramatically improved with the different sewing machine. Last year I got a used Viking Husqvarna and it is somewhere in between the two. Not steady like the Janome, but easy to get off-track if I am not paying close attention. And all the time with the Brother, I thought it was just me and my lack of skill.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
I have a low-end brother that I bought at Wal-mart. It swims too. I always thought it was me until I got my Janome a few years ago. I was astounded to find that my Janome "wants" to sew straight and my Brother just doesn't. My stitching dramatically improved with the different sewing machine. Last year I got a used Viking Husqvarna and it is somewhere in between the two. Not steady like the Janome, but easy to get off-track if I am not paying close attention. And all the time with the Brother, I thought it was just me and my lack of skill.
Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. Honest-to-goodness, there has got to be a way of getting more control. I do use both hands. If this is a "Brother" problem, will contact the company directly for suggestions on solutions.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM

You should try increassing the pressure of your presser feet.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

maybe try pinning every inch or so to hold it in place?
it is a unique problem since we normally want the (machine bed) to be smooth/slippery to enable us to move the fabric freely when quilting- dealing with bulk-
if you pin every couple inches and remove the pins as you come to them it should hold everything nice and straight-if holding it with your fingers does not do it for you. i would be hesitant to add anything to the machine- unless you can remove it again.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

It may be hard to get your seams straight but you'll have good luck with the slippery surface for machine quilting. Some people buy a Supreme Slider sheet for their machines to get a slippery surface. If you put something on it to control the slip, make sure you can remove it later for quilting.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

You might try some painters tape along the edge, too.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 PM

I have a brother cs6000i and am happy to now know that it isnt my fault I am crooked!!!! mine glides to the left constantly and it drives me nuts someone suggested mole skin but I have yet to make it to the store to buy some
Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Increase the pressure on your presser foot. It could be moving because the presser foot is not holding it securely. If the foot is tight enough it should not be able to move no matter how slippery your bed is.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 PM

I think you just need to get used to the machines. Increase the pressure foot pressure and try the moleskin. My machine tries to stitch off into the ditch, I just have to be firm with it and make it understand that she is NOT in charge. I don't notice it so much any more. Maybe I've just beaten her into submission--tough love you know.
Sue