Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wanna be quilter >

wanna be quilter

wanna be quilter

Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM

Default wanna be quilter

I am new at this.....want to learn how to quilt. Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Have you bought any books yet. What about a sewing machine and tool?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM

Check with a local quilt shop, craft store, and/or fabric store - they often have classes for all levels of quilters. Find out if there is a local quilt guild or groups that quilt (meet at churches, senior centers, etc.) Sit in a few times to see what the different groups do - hand quilt, make charity quilts, etc. LISTEN TO EVERYONE! They all have wonderful stories, tips, and different ways of doing things. Remember what ever works best for you is what you should do. I have been with a hand quilting group for about 5 years. I love the process but am slow in getting things finished. Don't be intimidated by people who produce quilt tops rapidly, they have probably been doing this for years & years.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 PM

Craftsy.com has awesome classes, even a few free beginner classes. They are as good as the real thing to me and you have them forever to watch when you want. I would just get the basic supplies, mat rotary cutter, scissors seam ripper, and good beginner machine and just dive in with a simple pattern. The new BOM on craftsy is done by hand sewing if you do not have a machine yet
Old 01-13-2015, 11:45 PM

like rhilkey said, a class is what help me get started. Something like piecing 101 where they give you the basics for precise cutting, 1/4 inch stitching, and "quilt talk" like quilt tops, backings, borders, binding, shashing and blocks. Once you know the basics then a you would be able to get a book of patterns and go from there. Go for it.!!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 AM

I would add to check out youtube - some good tutorials on youtube.

i
Old 01-14-2015, 03:32 AM

Some books from your local library are also a good source of info. Even if you don't read them cover to cover, they are great for terminology; inspiration; etc. As well as this site. Tons of great info. Welcome from NJ.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If you can take a class at your local quilt shop, do so. If not, watch some of Jenny Doan's youtube videos for the Missouri Star Quilt co. Try doing a table runner or similar to get started.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 AM

I tend to leap before I look, and I confess that my first quilt attempt frustrated me so much that it was 10 years before I tried it again. Then I saw a you tube video about jelly roll quilts, and they were great first projects and offered fairly immediate gratification.

They are also a good way to practice sewing straight seams at 1/4 inch. Very important for the end results.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 AM

I started with PBS and watching Eleanor Burns on Quilt in a Day. You can find her videos on You Tube, I still go out there and watch - she is pretty funny. Start with a simple pattern like log cabin or court house steps. My first quilt was pretty bad but I loved the process and was so proud of my creation. Just remember it takes time and practice but it so much fun to create.