Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ? >

Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ?

Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Love, love, love my Janome, over the years I've upgraded 4 times. Each one was better than the last.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 PM

JUKI for me... I've had my 2010Q and F600 for a year now and could not be happier. So many features, not fussy and they sew such a pretty stitch. The 2010Q makes quilting fun!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 PM

I do love my older Pfaff 1471 (sew on it every day), had it for 27 years. I do love my Brother 1500D also, it is a good sewing machine, I just haven't learned all I need to about the embroidery part of it. I bought it used and did not have lessons.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 PM

I'm also a Janome gal (and elna) and have the Janome 8900QCP. It's the best machine I've ever owned (and I've had a few in 65 years). But to answer your question in another way - first make a list of features that you must have and a list of features that might be nice to have and use that list when shopping. It's easy to get enthralled with one feature and forget that you really needed something else. Test drive at the shop - if they won't let you bring fabric you usually work with, go to another location. In my experience, a good relationship with the shop where you bought it is important in case issues come up ... and they should give lessons, even on used machines.

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I'm a janome gal also. I have the 8900QCP. It's got the larger harp, needle up and down, needle threader and cutter, plus lots more features. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Quilts like a champ. It's an all around great machine. I love it.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM

I just bought a Janome 8900QCP and love it. I especially love the larger harp, since I like to make large quilts (queen and king) as well as the extension table and the feet. I was lucky since I was able to buy the demo from the store for a good price.

When I started quilting about 10 years ago, I went overboard and bought a Viking Designer 1 (too much machine - didn't really need the embroidery unit), so I sold it, and bought a Pfaff 2056 (did test drive and liked it at the time). Now I am trying to sell it, because it isn't quite what I wanted.

I was using my FW for both piecing at home and taking to class, while my Pfaff sits in it's Tutto.

That said, I agree with several other of the members who said that you should make a list of what features are important for you and test drive different machines, if possible.

Last edited by caspharm; 01-26-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:36 PM

I'm a Janome girl. I LOVE love LOVE my 6600p for everyday sewing/piecing. Most of my quilting friends have this same model as well.
Then I have a 11,000 SE that does embroidery too. Both are AWESOME machines.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 PM

I have a Juki on a frame and I have Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 835 for sewing/piecing. It has a 10" throat, lots of fancy stitches & is very easy to use. I know the new Sapphire 900 series recently came out, but you can still find new in box Sapphires (835 & 870) with warranty & being that the newer models just came out the 800s are reasonably priced. Just google it.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 AM

All of us have our favorites, and we all love our machines for one reason or another. I love my Serenade by Babylock, but its probably no better than a Janome. Its just a matter of what is right for you. This is why it is so hard to suggest machines for others. My only suggestion is to make a list of the things the most important to you, that you really want on your mahine, gather up a few test pieces of what you will be sewing on, and even though the sewing stores are quite a ways away, go there and test those machines. You also want to make sure of the quality of the customer service you receive. If they do not have time to assist you in making a purchase, then will they have time to help you when you have a question about your new machine. Also, by visiting the stores you might find a disocntined model, a trade in or some other type of machine greatly reduced in price. The one thing you do not want is to get a new machine and suddenly decide you don't like it. Best of luck in your search and let us know what you decide.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by kimnkell View Post
Hello,
I am looking to buy a new or used sewing machine... I have no idea what I want or anything about the newer machines.. I started out on a brother which I totally hated and I have been using an old white cabinet sewing machine for years and years now... but it's just giving me fits and thought it was time for a new one. I quilt my own quilts on a different machine that I have set up but if I could find one that has a longer arm I would like to have one like that if wouldn't break the bank... I just have no idea as to what I 'm looking for and thought some of you folks could help me out... Thanks
Most of the major brands have very similar features……what I find VERY IMPORTANT is the service after the sale…..training classes for your machine…..help on the phone when you are stuck……a repair person who can turn the machine around in a week, two max…..knowledgable and helpful staff at the shop…...

THEN - find and visit dealers………demo machines…..watch how the store treats you and other customers……look for features on the machines that you:

1) cannot live without
2) would LOVE to have
3) might be nice/interesting to use

and then talk price……..many of the trade-ins or used machines purchased from a dealer (if price for new is a budget buster) carry some sort of warranty……..

GOOD LUCK in your search…how exciting for you………Let us know what you decide!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 AM

I asked the same question about 2 years ago. I ended up buying a Janome 3160 QDC. It cost about $325. in Canada.
It has 2 features I wouldn't be without. Needle Down and the thread cutter. It has a variety of stitches for appliqué. It's a great machine for the price!