Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanted...help....opinions...advice >

Wanted...help....opinions...advice

Wanted...help....opinions...advice

Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 AM

I think a dark backing would be nicer with this than a light. It might be easier to stitch down the center of each ray than to STID. I agree, some kind of design in the centers is called for. I think cross-hatching the background would look great!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 AM

I like the ones that have the quilting done ¼" away from the blade seams even in the center circle. If you have a look at the images on google quite a few of them show good suggestions for quilting of the background. https://www.google.ca/search?q=hand+...FRIwiAodiMkNvA
Old 09-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Over 30 years ago a mother used 18" four sack blocks and sewed Dresden plate pattern with pointed pieces then
hand blanket stitched around them with no fabric in center. 16 years ago her daughter found 24 of them and some other pieced blocks. She now has me making 3 quilts. I sashed them and bought the backing in blue which she requested. Have one top finished and it's getting lots of compliments. Naturally, I laundered all fabric. No problems.
She wants simple --very little quilting.
I am at a loss quilting around the plates since they are pointed but considered an echo idea at the outside edge.
Doesn't want feathers on sashing but I can handle that. I have a few stencils so will have to dig them out .

Any suggestions welcome as long as you read all I wrote to be what the owner wants. I run everything by her even though she is almost blind as these are going to her granddaughters .
Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 PM

Here's my two cents' worth.

Navy binding would be classic, so would work for whatever the age of the recipient. And not all girls like pink. (Clearly you're one of them, and I was too for a long time).

Brown-- trendy

Black-- dramatic

I would make sure a dark backing wouldn't show through the white front. Having said that, I think a dark background would certainly be my preference. I like the idea of SITD of the paddles, and your own unique design for each center. Why do the same thing in every center if you can spice it up with variety? That would look cool on the back as well.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:31 AM

Keep in mind white on wHite is very hard to hand quilt...the white "paint" that makes the design is difficult to put needles through...just a thought.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tessagin about winding stitch around the dresdens but would definitely do some flower or such design in the center circle of the dresden. I think a darker binding would be more attractive than a pink. Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:17 AM

I have trouble hand quilting white on white and I really don't like sid. I would stitch a straight line down the middle of each piece of the plate and I would put a small feathered circle in the center of each circle. I think a fancy corner feather or in each white area.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 AM

What would happen if you extended the stitch down the middle to the outside white area? I would back with a muslin or something that matched the white front but not wow. I wouldn't bind in pink. Cross hatch the the centers sounds good too. I said feather earlier but I like a more modern look and feathers get boring.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 AM

Can you see your hand, or a print design through that white background fabric? If you use a medium or dark print for your backing, it might show through, especially if the batting is polyester or a thin batt. Do you know how this quilt will be used? If it is a wall hanging, then a dark back would be okay. If used as a baby quilt, I would quilt it densely, for more sturdiness. If a prominent wall hanging, go for artistry in every stitch. Form follows function in nature; so be it in our arts.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 AM

What a unique quilt and a keepsake of sorts. As to quilting, if you stitch 1/4 inch in from the edge of the segments, that will be really close quilting. I would look for a swirly type design, flower petal type or something along that line. A feather wreath would be nice too, maybe even a double wreath, one on the outside, and another on the inside to keep the scale to the size of the segments. Background, I agree with crosshatching. I saw a Dresden plate quilt lately with a y0-yo for the center an it had been stuffed to make it stand out. REally unique, but you would lose the pink of the center. Hopefully out of all these suggestions, some are ones you can use.