Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanted some really old fabric to . . . >

Wanted some really old fabric to . . .

Wanted some really old fabric to . . .

Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 PM

repair a quilt my mother-in-law made in the 30s. She passed away in 1944. (My husband was 20 years older and we had over 30 years together, been gone since 2001.) Back to the quilt, in the 70s before I knew what I was doing I removed some of the squares which had disintegrated and started to replace them with 70s fabric. WRONG! So when I get moved to NM in July I want to repair the quilt with more authentic fabric. She used dress material, tobacco bags, some thin wool, etc.
I am not ready to begin this project but thought I'd put this out in case someone was cleaning out an attic and throwing precious material or clothes away! I have already packed the quilt so can't post a pic (which I don't know how to do anyway!) until I unpack it and my DIL in NM shows me how to post photos. She is so smart. I love her.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM

Where in NM are you or have you moved to. I live in NM. I may have some old fabrics also there is a place close to my house that had a ton of old fabrics. I can take you there. It is called Carrie Sews. she also sells on line. It located in Peralta NM email me if you need more info. [email protected]
Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
repair a quilt my mother-in-law made in the 30s. She passed away in 1944. (My husband was 20 years older and we had over 30 years together, been gone since 2001.) Back to the quilt, in the 70s before I knew what I was doing I removed some of the squares which had disintegrated and started to replace them with 70s fabric. WRONG! So when I get moved to NM in July I want to repair the quilt with more authentic fabric. She used dress material, tobacco bags, some thin wool, etc.
I am not ready to begin this project but thought I'd put this out in case someone was cleaning out an attic and throwing precious material or clothes away! I have already packed the quilt so can't post a pic (which I don't know how to do anyway!) until I unpack it and my DIL in NM shows me how to post photos. She is so smart. I love her.

I have tons of old fabrics..Not sure what the blends are on most of them..I do know some are poly/cotton blend, sear sucker, silk..the list goes on..
Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 AM

I searched for Carrie and found this site. She has passed away and her children have a selling site
http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...riessewandsews
Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 AM

If it was cottons used, I turned my fabric so wrong side was up and I found this worked well for the worn look. Can't help with the other types though.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by frarose
I searched for Carrie and found this site. She has passed away and her children have a selling site
http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...riessewandsews
That is the correct one. You can also contact the girls here
Carrie's Sew & Sews. Phone: (505) 866-0258
Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Welcome to you NM gals! I lived there for many years and miss it dearly! I have lived in Albuquerque, Kirtland AFB, Farmington, and Alamogordo.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

thrift stores and yard sales are more wonderful resources for (vintage) fabrics.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
Welcome to you NM gals! I lived there for many years and miss it dearly! I have lived in Albuquerque, Kirtland AFB, Farmington, and Alamogordo.
Thank you. I love it here I sometimes wish to move but only in NM. Yesterday we went to get my granddaughter who lives in Artesia and I would really love to live in A Ruidoso or Lincoln. It is really beautiful there. Happy Quilting to all.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM

Hi mscyndi
I am up in the East Mountains, Sandia Park, and I have been to Carrie's but didn't even think of the the quilt then. I will bring the quilt with me later this summer and see what I can find. Thanks for reminding me of that really neat shop. We'll have to get together some time.