Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanted: Your rotary blade sharpening success stories ... >

Wanted: Your rotary blade sharpening success stories ...

Wanted: Your rotary blade sharpening success stories ...

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM
ro
Banned

I buy my blades at harbor freight. no problem so far. I'd bring them back if they don't work. they are used to cut carpets. so they should cut fabric.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:32 PM

I have yet to find a way to re-sharpen rotary cutter blades. Since the edge is like a razor blade my thinking is if they never found a way to re-sharpen men's shaving blades they won't find one to put that fine of an edge on rotary blades.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I've had terrible luck with the HF blades. Every package has been horrible for fabric. DH tried the ones I took off my cutter on carpet and they cut just fine which is what they are suppose to do.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM

I read somewhere that running the blade through tin foil would sharpen. I tried it once but couldn't really tell much difference so I bought new blades.

Sharon
Old 03-26-2015, 04:26 PM

I also bought a blade sharpener and no luck after trying it. It did nothing. The best thing I have tried and it doesn't last as long as a new blade is running the blade over folded aluminum foil.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I agree with tessagin. I get my blades in bulk from ebay. Her current price is 100 45mm blades for $75. If you have a quilting buddy, you could split an order.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-45MM-ROT...#ht_588wt_1161
do you see me laid out on the floor, stupified? I think I bought my first rotary cutter in the very late 70's and I would make a guess that I have used maybe 50 blades in that time in 3 different sized cutters. we are indeed, all different
Old 03-26-2015, 05:48 PM

I just buy new blades too!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I apologize if this thread seems repetitive, but I've been searching this forum for blade sharpening information. Many members report success with their blade sharpeners but don't give enough detail. Even more report disappointment.

I have a USA sharpener that DH and I have been experimenting with. He has tried to sharpen dull blades, beginning with the coarse stone and finishing with the fine stone. He also tried to sharpen some blades that were used but not very dull yet, hoping it would revitalize them. The result in both cases was that the blades were unusable (even the ones that started out relatively sharp).

I'm hoping that members will give details of their blade sharpening success. Please detail the sharpener you are using, how soon you sharpen your blade and the exact process (fine/coarse stones, etc).

I figure we are doing something terribly wrong to have a blade sharpener actually dull a previously relatively sharp blade.

Thanks!
I'm surprised that there have been any successes. Obviously someone who could make a sharpener that works would make a fortune. If you will Google Hittle sewing supplies, you will find blades at a very favorable price. They may not be quite the same as Olfa, etc., but they will get the job done for about as long as more expensive blades will last. froggyintexas
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 PM

I purchased the Electric TruCut Rotary Blade Sharpener from the Grace Frame Company and have had great success. I think the secret is sharpening the blade before it gets too dull. Instead of just pushing harder after the first time my blade skips a few threads into the sharpener it goes. Thirty seconds on one side and thirty seconds on the other and it's like new again. I get a lot of mileage out of my blades this way. ����
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 AM

I bought 12 packages of blades from Harbor Freight...they were terrible!! Didn't keep the receipt either. So now they simply sit in a drawer. :-(