Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wanting a nice easy Christmas quilt pattern >

Wanting a nice easy Christmas quilt pattern

Wanting a nice easy Christmas quilt pattern

Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM

Bought fabric and got free pattern from LQS for a Christmas quilt, got it out today to start and realize that there were 28 fussy cuts Christmas trees on it and I am ENTIRELY too inexperienced to tackle those cuts. Willing to get more fabric, just want a queen quilt finished by Christmas season for my first Christmas quilt. Any suggestions? Have gone on line and saw a few but most of them are not queen size or too difficult to tackle at my level. Thanks for your help....
Old 05-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Most any pattern can be a Christmas quilt ... it's your fabrics that are going to dictate it.

Perhaps show us a picture of your pattern, so we can see what you'd like to do. And maybe too, we can recommend a similar pattern that is simpler for you to manage.

As a note ... I'm wondering if you are using the correct terminology.
Are you meaning fussy cut? which means cutting a square of fabric centred on a picture (in this case a Christmas tree).
Or perhaps are you meaning that you need to cut out Christmas tree shapes and then applique them to your quilt?

As PP mentioned, fussy cutting is not hard at all, if that's really what you are meaning.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 PM

I have several christmas quilt books I want to sell if interested - I can make up a list
Old 05-14-2011, 06:17 PM

There are lots of ways to make that pattern bigger.
For one, try laying out some extra fabric and see how it looks with sashing between each block with matching or darker/lighter fabrics. And then when it's larger, even slightly till it sits on top of the bed, there is no law at all saying you can't add some smaller pieced Christmas trees to a "drop to the floor" edge of the quilt if that's what you want. Or even make the edging with Christmas Tree decorations, hanging balls with a few tiny Christmas Packages would be pretty. Some of the 3D ones that have been shown on this forum recently have been lovely.

Or, and this might be even easier, is to go online and get some coloring book Christmas trees and make larger appliques. That way you have time to add this and that to them before Christmas. I can see it now, with tiny round shiny blobs of decoration on it with silver and gold threads. 3D Christmas presents under the tree with lovely flying ribbons...come to think on it, that sounds so nice I might want to try it for myself!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Are there any block patterns that you are especially comfortable with? What about techniques like appliqued (raw edge or turned edge), embroidery, etc. Like someone suggested, post some links to or names of patterns that you like and someone on the board will be able to help you enlarge them to the size you want. There are many simple ways to make beautiful or whimsical quilts just by picking certain colors. If I were closer to Salado I would meet up with to see if I could help.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Here's some Food for Thought for you!
http://lynbrown.com/?p=109