Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm & Natural,first time using it >

Warm & Natural,first time using it

Warm & Natural,first time using it

Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM

Ok, so now I'm a little freaked out.

I don't prewash my fabrics, ever. Never had a problem. I've also always used poly batting, because, well, cotton batting is just too damn expensive. BUT, I bought some last year when it was on sale at 50% (still cost 12 bucks a meter, after the discount!) and have been saving it for a special quilt. I was going to use poly batting for my baby quilt that I just finished, but when I went downstairs to get it, I couldn't find any, I guess I used it all up, so I took out the cotton batting.

OMG, what a dream to work with!!! I spray basted, no pins or anything, and it all stayed super nice, no puckers, super smooth, no wrinkles in the back... WOW!!!
However, now I'm faced with the washing problem. I wouldn't prewash my batting, but now that it's in the quilt, I'm not sure I'm supposed to put it in the dryer? I did FMQ meandering quilting on it, relatively close loops, so I don't think it would bunch up or fall apart or anything in the wash, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to dry in flat or in the dryer. I love the look of the fabric that shrinks in the dryer, which is one of the reasons I don't pre-wash, and it's always looked great with poly-batting once it's out of the dryer. One of the ladies at work today was telling my mother to never put cotton batting in the dryer because it will come apart and bunch up and pucker and look awful after. I know she quilts by hand, and her quilting is not very close together, so maybe that's why she was saying that? I dunno, I'm too scared to wash my quilt now, lol!

P.S. it's a baby quilt for my son, so it's GOING to get dirty and need washing pretty often...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM

It washes up nicely.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM

I just finished a quilt using Warm and natural cotton batting in a baby quilt...It said it was pre-washed and had low shrinkage! I hope so...I would like to know if it shrinks or will bunch up when washed...I tried to quilt close but there is a border on my quilt that I didn't quilt close...??
Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM

I use it all the time. I machine wash and dry my quilts and have never had a problem with it. You can also tumble the quilt until it's partially dry and then hang it over a shower curtain rod or something similar and let it air dry the rest of the way.

It shrinks a tiny bit but it gives the quilt that nice puckery look. I've never had any problems with bunching or twisting even when the quilting is far apart.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM

I use warm and natural batting and never have a problem with it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 PM

I never use any batting other than Warm and Natural. I don't wash the batting until the quilt is finished. Warm and Natural will shrink just enough to give that antique look to the quilt. I've never had any problems with the batting bunching no matter how far apart I quilt.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM

It's all I use.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

It's the only batting I ever use, and my quilts get washed a lot. Isn't it just wonderful!1 And it will be so soft when it comes out of the washing. It will wear well also.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Like so many others have said...it is the only thing I use. The price is very worth the difference in the quality.
No one has ever had a problem washing the quilts I have made with it numerous times.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM

This is the link to the Warm & Natural Website. It has a ton of info. http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html I hope this helps.

Harry