Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
warm and natural? >

warm and natural?

warm and natural?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Default warm and natural?

can anyone tell me why when doing FMQ on a black backing using warm and natural ..in places the warm and natural batting pull through and left a small dot of the batting on the black fabric.. I can't pick it off so I guess I will just leave it..but it looks kind of funny.

This is the first time that I used warm and natural for my batting...does anyone know why this happen..is it because it was a black backing fabric?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

when the quilt is finished/bound & laundered- those will more than likely disappear-
they happen because the needle with thread- goes up & down- catching on the batting and taking some of it along- generally it sticks a little bit to the thread- especially when using cotton thread- polyester or silk threads don't (cause the batting to stick) so much- can also be a small burr on the needle-
happens with other batts too- not just W&N---and just noticable because it's no black- but really will more than likely disappear when the finished quilt is laundered.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Warm & Natural doesn't beard, so your problem could be caused by a dull needle or a rough thread. The W&N should be placed with the flecked side up, white side down (against the backing). For a black backing you could also buy a black batt.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Try a new Titanium coated needle and good machine quilting thread.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 PM

It probably is the needle you are using, not the batting. For future, you may wish to use a black batting when have such a dark back to your quilt. Hopefully when you wash the quilting, the batting spots will disappear.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM

opp's I think it must have been the thread as I used a metallic thread as for washing it , this is a wall hanging and I don't want to wash it but seeing that it is a wall hanging no one will look at the back... or I hope they don't...Thanks eveyone for your advice I'll make sure that I make a list of the do's and don't of using dark backing and warn and natural...Thank you all for taking the time to help me out ...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

What you describe is bearding. It is more noticeable on solid dark fabrics, and some battings beard more easily than others. Warm N Natural is needlepunched through scrim, and I have to wonder if you placed the scrim side of the batting facing the top rather than facing the backing. When a batting has a scrim, you typically want to place the scrim on the opposite side from the needle entry, so you are needling in the same direction as the scrim was needlepunched. Almost any batting can beard under certain conditions. A batting with scrim will be less likely to beard if the scrim is the last thing the needle goes through.

Clear as mud, probably...... There are some informative old threads on the QB about bearding. You might want to run a search. You can also Google quilt bearding to find additional info about the problem and how you can prevent it in the future.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM

If it is a wall hanging and not going to be washed, if it really bothers you could you go over it with a black fabric (won't wash out) pen?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
If it is a wall hanging and not going to be washed, if it really bothers you could you go over it with a black fabric (won't wash out) pen?
Exactly what I thought.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM

You could also try steaming the holes with an iron. I've been successful with this method in the past.