Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm & Natural vs. Hobbs 80/20 >

Warm & Natural vs. Hobbs 80/20

Warm & Natural vs. Hobbs 80/20

Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM

I go to batting.com and get whichever is the least expensive on the roll. Both are good quality
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM

I tried Hobbs 80/20 blend one time only, I did not like it at all, reminds me of the white synthetic cobwebby stuff that is used to decorate with on Halloween.
Went back to W&N and W&W. I am eager to try Hobbs Wool and Quilters Dream. JMHO.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:17 PM

I really don't like either one of them. Quilter's Dream batting - all of them - are my favorites!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:26 PM

When I first started quilting my LQS recommended Hobbs 100% polyester. I like the unwrinkled look of my quilts after laundering --they still look new. However, I do find it now comes out of the package more wrinkled than it was originally and is not as soft as the original. I still buy it at Connecting Threads when it goes on sale and it is less than $10 then for a queen sized quilt. I still have very good results with it. For table runners and placemats, wall hangings, etc. I use warm and natural which I buy as remnants from my LQS at excellent prices. I buy the biggest pieces I can find and cut them when I need them. Also, I have wonderful luck with Pellons iron on (fusible) batting in two different weights which I use for hand bags, etc. I think batting is very expensisve for some reason. Long Arm Quilters like to sell you the expensive kind, but will use the Hobbs 100% polyester also and do not complain about it.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
When I first started quilting my LQS recommended Hobbs 100% polyester. I like the unwrinkled look of my quilts after laundering --they still look new. However, I do find it now comes out of the package more wrinkled than it was originally and is not as soft as the original. I still buy it at Connecting Threads when it goes on sale and it is less than $10 then for a queen sized quilt. I still have very good results with it. For table runners and placemats, wall hangings, etc. I use warm and natural which I buy as remnants from my LQS at excellent prices. I buy the biggest pieces I can find and cut them when I need them. Also, I have wonderful luck with Pellons iron on (fusible) batting in two different weights which I use for hand bags, etc. I think batting is very expensisve for some reason. Long Arm Quilters like to sell you the expensive kind, but will use the Hobbs 100% polyester also and do not complain about it.
Most of us that long arm quilt will sell the customer a bat that works for what the customer wants and also works well in our machine. For example, if a customer wants a poly bat, I'd use that, even though that is not what I'd choose for my own quilts most times. The one exception is if a customer wants an all poly in a crib quilt, I will point out that it's highly flammable. As far as what works in our machines--most of us find that some bats seem particularly linty and prefer not to use them due to wear/tear on machine. that being said, while we may not stock them, we typically will use what a customer brings us--the exception is a fused batting which can cause real havoc with a machine going as fast as a long arm does!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 AM

Depends on if you are machine or hand quilting. I do not care for Warm and Natural for hand quilting, it needles much harder than a poly batting. For hand quilting I prefer Hobbs Polydown. I like to open it up and let it lay for a good 24 hours so the wrinkles will fluff up before making my quilt sandwich. I can usually find it at Hobby Lobby and I use my 40% off coupon.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I just bought Warm and White - 20 yard roll for QAYG only. I prefer the high loft Poly batting and will still use it for non qayg quilts. I wish the W & W were thicker, but, it isn't.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 AM

I like Warm & Natural better than Hobbs 80/20. Polyester batting even 20% makes me sweat when its for a bed quilt.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 AM

I tried Hobbs 80/20 and didn't like it at all. When I went to smooth it out it got all stretched out. I'm used to the scrim on W&N. I also like that I can quilt further apart on W&N.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I do not like the feel of the Hobbs. Not even sure why.

Recently I switched over to Warm Blend (Cotton and Poly @50%). It drapes a bit better than W&N and it gives a little more warmth.