Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm & White is this enough quilting? >

Warm & White is this enough quilting?

Warm & White is this enough quilting?

Old 08-16-2015, 08:59 PM

I used Warm & Natural for one & some type of poly batt for the other (that was 10 years ago & I can't recall!).
W&N is a fantastic product. I only use that & the new Warm & Plush in my quilts, I just quilt much closer together now. I did the quilt in my avatar STID with W&N. I'm planning to pick it up from my sister in September for a week or so in order to add more quilting. I'm doing that with a poly batt table runner, too.

I guess as our society moves more toward cheap, disposable products, a batting that lasts 6 months when quilted 7-8" apart has it's place (which is what I did). As for me, I celebrated the opportunity to spend time adding prettier quilting to some early, ugly quilts, but have definitely learned my lesson & now quilt with no more than a 2" space between quilting lines.

I wouldn't get too nervous, just keep in mind that with any type of batting, the closer together you quilt, the better it will hold together in the washer & dryer.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 AM

If you are quilting on a DSM--try this. When you come to the places where stitching is going to intersect, drop the needle into your work about 1/2" before that stitching and give a little tug on the other side of that stitching that's already in place. You are pulling on the bias and that may be enough that puckers don't happen. It works for me anyhow. I assume, too, that you are using a walking foot in this quilting.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:31 AM

You could also "tack" a few places in the open spaces. That works like ties, but are almost invisible. Just make a few stitches forward and backward in a seam near the center of the open space. No puckers.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:00 AM

When there are fewer quilting lines on a quilt and they are farther apart, the threads break as the quilt is lifted, tugged, and pulled for adjusting on a bed or used as a throw. The more quilting lines there are, the more the pull is equalized and threads will not break as easily.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 AM

illnois - thanks for the tip - that does help alot

maviskw - I didn't think about taking.. that doesn't seem too overwhelming