Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Warmer!

Auj
    I agree with Copycat and Earthwalker. One of my first quilts was a denim top with fleece backing and batting. I didn't realize at the time that batting wasn't really needed! It is heavy and very warm. We keep the house cool and I snuggle under it along with a cat or two. I also made one with denim, batting, and flannel. It is lighter weight, but still very warm. We like the weight.

I just finished a queen size quilt with a poly batting but the backing fabric was done in a 100% cotton drapery fabric. The quilt turned out quite heavy. It surprised me when I took it off the quilting machine. Here is the photo of the quilt.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I only use wool. It is so warm that I sleep with just a wool quilt. The other battings never seem near as warm. Wool might be a bit more, but it is so much more warmer!! Worth the price.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    I'm with the folks that suggest using more than one cover - two quilts, a blanket and a quilt, two blankets - whatever.

I also remember the poundage of the old covers when I was growing up. Heavier meant warmer, back then.

Connecting Threads sells wool batting and when they have a sale it is very reasonable. I buy all my batting from them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6