Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warmth of badding question?

Question Warmth of badding question?

I have a quilt that will be ready to put together with the badding and backing. I have used warm and natural, but do not find it overly warm. Is there any difference with the cotton/polyester blends and the warm and natural as far as warmth. I have to pick some badding up to finish and would just as soon get a warmer one if I can. Thanks.

Banned
    Wool is the warmest batting you can get.

Wool is the warmest. Silk is also known for its good warmth... but the amount of silk in a batting can vary and get pricey. If you want warmth with out the $$$ of wool or silk... go with poly. I double bat many of my quilts using a layer of warm and natural and a layer of poly.... very warm .. the quilting shows up great. An additional plus for poly is the dry faster in the dryer. A down side for double batting is if you are going to quilt it yourself on a regular machine... it too much to get under the arm of the machine. I double bat many of the quilts I send out to the Long Arm Pro.

Blog Entries
    If you decide on a wool batting, be sure to stick with either Hobbs wool or Quilter's Dream wool brands. Off-brands of wool can have a lot of problems. The Hobbs and QD wool batts are really, really nice.

I think I will go to the hobbs 80/20?, it is supposed to be nice to quilt with and maybe the polyester will be a bit warmer than the warm and natural.

Blog Entries
    I like Hobbs 80/20 much better than Warm and Natural -- much nicer drape, and soft.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I like Quilters Dream wool best, infact I almost use all Quilters Dream now. I feel that Warm and Natural has gotten thinner. QD sometimes costs me a bit more unless I can get it on sale.

As a long arm quilter I only carry Quilter's Dream Batting. I order it on 122" Bolts and sell it by the linear inch. Unless you are doing a king size quilt you can purchase for the narrowest (usually width) amount you need. Check with long arm quilters in your area. If they order by the roll they may be willing to sell to you. My favorites are their wool and their Dream Orient. My daughter in CA says the Orient is warm in winter and cool in summer. Their batting for baby blankets is highly rated for being flame retardant.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I used wool batting for the first time recently. I love it! The wool I chose was much fluffier than the cotton ones i had used before. What a difference! LOVE IT!

I have been trying to find a good price on wool batting, but it's pretty spendy. The next quilt I make for myself, I will be doubling up a poly with a cotton blend. We have a few quilts here that have minkee on the back of them, they are really warm.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast