Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol >

Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

Old 09-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Get yourself a bottle of B-12, take it, and before you know it, you'll be over that slump. I was going through the same thing earlier this year and was telling my sister about my "blues" and she told me to get some vitamin B-12 and start taking it. I did. And it worked. I am back to my old self; and after a Dr's appointment in which I have to list all my medications, he didn't say a word about the B-12 I added (not his idea); but asked me how I am feeling and when I said "fine" he still didn't mention the B-12 (continue or discontinue) at all. So I am still taking it.

Back to this original subject: Purge or don't. My secret that works for me is to periodically give quilting lessons, and allow the students to go through my stash and patterns, and pick out what they want to make and use; let them use whichever one of my machines they want to. Gets rid of a lot of fabric, and occasionally a sewing machine (for sale); I love all my machines, so they are pretty safe from the "purging" efforts. As far as missing the fabric, that doesn't happen.....
Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM

I could honestly open my own library with all the books here. What I am doing though, is putting them on DVD, then when I donate or sell, I still have a copy for myself. Trying to downsize as we are looking to purchase a motorhome. With all my patterns in digital format, I am saving enough room for more material...
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I have never regretted any donations or shares because I know how many people have shared with me. It feels so good to give and by the way, to receive from people who have a giving heart.

Why regret doing good? I purge and donate as often as I can.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:39 PM

I have learned those that "borrow" leave me with I wish I hadn't done that--its gone!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Having a granddaughter that makes quilts, I thought giving her a few of my books would smooth our relationship....NOT Now I wonder? Will it "hurt" the "relationship" that isn't there, if I ask for them back......of course, I won't , but..........will be keeping things from now on---or sharing with friends.

Last edited by Mary73162; 09-01-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: finishing a thought
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
A couple of years ago I gave a lady a sewing machine and some of my fabric I didn't think I would ever use. I wanted to do this to help her. I found out in the last year that she probably sold the machine for drug money and I have no idea what happened to the fabric that she had big plans for. Sometimes I'm a pushover for helping people. I'm beginning to be more selective with my "handouts". I guess the old saying is true..."you live and learn".
Teddybear I can so relate to this, but mine was the opposite I bought fabric from a (I wont say lady ..now) female & heard a long sob story and seen her selling more & more on FB I bought a lot & figured she was going through hard times and she had children, the last fabric I bought from her, we met her at a convenience store and to help her out gave her $20 and filled her gas tank. As my husband calls it we were "snake bit" she had gotten hooked on drugs and sold EVERYTHING she and her children owned. I don't know what ever became of her & her children. It's the children I feel the most for.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 PM

I don't regret anything I've ever given away. It's just sad to think the woman I gave the sewing machine to couldn't appreciate it like I did. My best friend had given me her and her mother's Necchi machines. I figured I didn't need two and wanted to bless someone with one of them. The fabric I don't miss either, just wondered if it ended up in the trash. Now that really upsets me! haha

RedGarnet222, I still have the pattern book you sent me along with the quilt stickers I bought from you. I've started cutting out some fabric for one of the patterns. Thank you again.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 AM

LOL! This is great and you are so right. Just when you get rid of something then you really need it!

Susan
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I guess that's why I have so much STUFF!! I do need to thin it out a little but most of the books are such good reference. Oh my, I think I'll worry about that another day.
YES! So true!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 AM

One of the guilds I belong to will take gently used books, so if I am giving away books, that's where they go. Then, if I find I need the book again, I just check it out. It's a great way to have my cake and eat it, too!