Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wash or Not Wash >

Wash or Not Wash

Wash or Not Wash

Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Agree with suern3. I'm not a prewasher except for flannel. There have been many discussions about it if you wa t to try the search function
Same here. I only wash flannel.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:35 AM

I almost always wash new fabric before it goes in my sewing room. Small pre-cut pieces are different, as they my fray enough to be unusable. Shrinkage is more worrisome than bleeding, and I trust that just wetting with hot water should take care of that.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM

I have posted before on this thread, so I apologize for getting on here again. I have asthma, so I DO wash everything that comes in this house. First, I test my fabric for bleeding. I've bought (recently) some very high quality 10% cotton for borders for a red and white quilt I made (all the fabrics in that quilt had been treated to prevent bleeding). So, I tested this red and, brother, did it bleed? YES, Yes, Yes! I treated that fabric also. I have to be very careful what I have in my house -- air freshners are a no, no, as well as some hand sanitizer (because it's scented), I stopped using cologne several years ago because it precipitated asthma episodes. And, like another poster on this thread, I've had almost every color in the rainbow bleed, and bleed and bleed some more. Still, even after treating the fabric to set the dye, ANY quilt I wash will be washed with color catchers. Discretion is the better part of valor -- after putting all that work into a quilt, I won't risk ruining the quilt. Likewise, I won't take an unnecessary risk for an asthma attach -- people do die from asthma attacks. There are too many things "out there" in our atmosphere that precipitate asthma episodes or attacks. Something simple such as washing fabrics -- that's a small price to pay and not so very much work, either! I agree that precuts and small pieces for BOM Blocks would probably be damaged -- fraying and shrinkage -- and I won't risk an asthma attack -- so I don't buy them! I would point out that the product I use to "set" the dye has no scent and does not emit fumes -- that's why I use the product that I use. If you don't wash and ultimately have a bleeding quilt -- that's your choice, and you assume the risk of a damaged quilt. The risk would not just be to my quilt -- it's literally a risk to my life -- an unneccesary risk. Another reason I wash -- you don't know who may have handled the fabric you buy -- my cousin had a quilt shop in Oklahoma -- she caught people wiping their noses and wiping their armpits with "new" fabric -- fabric she could no longer sell. You never know what bacteria or disease folks who do such disgusting things might carry.

There are also other measures -- I love music concerts, but I have to make certain when I go to a concert that it is a "smoke-free" atmosphere. Fortunately, in Florida, smoking is limited -- permitted in some bars, based on food preparation, etc. but not allowed on the college campus or public school campus, or in restaurants. If I went to some location where smoking was allowed -- I'd be assuming the risk -- and that's a pretty big risk.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 03-18-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 AM

I'm just about to start another kingsize quilt hand pieced- all kaffee fassett fabrics. I had a lot of his fabrics on hand- some precuts, some scraps etc. I serged all the edges of my new fabric and all the pieces of the precuts except the jellyrolls. I did toss in couple other pieces of Asian fabric, too. I put a colour catcher in the washer and dryer and got colour on both(colour catchers). No red fabric in the pile either. I'm an old school washer from making garments, but I don't like taking a chance when I spend nearly a year making a quilt and having it ruined. it's a simple step. Then I do starch to death! What ever makes you happy is my motto- we all have out quirks. We all don;t like the krinkled look after a quilt it washed depending on the pattern.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 AM

What about mixing the washed & not washed fabrics in the same quilt? does the shrinkage of some fabrics not washed become a problem with the washed fabrics, or does it kind of blend in overall once the whole quilt is washed? I have been wondering this for awhile now.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM

I'm sure there would be some effect from using washed and not washed fabrics together -- I don't, because I use only washed fabric (purchased in yardage amounts). Since I don't buy kits or pre-cut fabric pieces, I don't have this problem. Everything that goes in the quilts I make is washed before I cut the pieces, including sashing, borders and backing.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 PM

I don't think I answered the question previously posed -- . No, I do not mix washed and unwashed fabric - Everything I use in a quilt is washed before it is cut, and that includes backing, borders, sashing, etc. I've previously posted giving my reasons for washing, so I won't discuss those issues again.