Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Washable crayons and markers

  1. #1
    Senior Member susanwilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    803
    Has anyone ever tried the childrens washable crayons or markers? I am quilting a sample square now that I have marked up using both the crayons and markers. I'll let you know how it turns out.

  2. #2
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,365
    Blog Entries
    20
    I didn't have any problem witht the sample that I did, but there have been quite a few posts of people who had problems, especially with the green.

  3. #3
    Member Beth Dishong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Groveport, OH
    Posts
    77
    Blog Entries
    9
    I have and I hope you have better luck of it coming out than I did. I still had a faint line of the whole thing. I wasn't pleased. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,569
    Blog Entries
    3
    I use the washable markers, but not directly on the fabric. I use them to mark my design on Sulky Solvy, then I pin the Sulky to the quilt and do my FMQ. Once the bulk is cut away, the remainder washes out. Never had a problem using the markers this way.

  5. #5
    Senior Member susanwilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I use the washable markers, but not directly on the fabric. I use them to mark my design on Sulky Solvy, then I pin the Sulky to the quilt and do my FMQ. Once the bulk is cut away, the remainder washes out. Never had a problem using the markers this way.
    That is a good idea! I washed my sample block and all the marks came out. I'm going to mark it up again and wait a day or two before washing and see how it does. But, I think I like your idea better just for the ..."just in case".

  6. #6
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,569
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I use the washable markers, but not directly on the fabric. I use them to mark my design on Sulky Solvy, then I pin the Sulky to the quilt and do my FMQ. Once the bulk is cut away, the remainder washes out. Never had a problem using the markers this way.
    That is a good idea! I washed my sample block and all the marks came out. I'm going to mark it up again and wait a day or two before washing and see how it does. But, I think I like your idea better just for the ..."just in case".
    I had bought a roll of paper from a medical supply store (exam table paper) for about $6. I draw up my designs on that - very handy for the borders. Then I put the Sulky over it and draw it with the washable markers. Pin to the quilt and go for it! It's less to clean up afterwards and dissolves in the wash. I always wash my quilts after they're done anyway. Watch for sales or use coupons at Joann's to get the sulky for a decent price. I trim it lengthwise for the borders so there isn't as much waste.

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Super Member jdiane318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    springfield, MO
    Posts
    2,436
    Do not press or heat set the crayola marker lines as this will make the marks permanent.

  8. #8
    Senior Member susanwilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I use the washable markers, but not directly on the fabric. I use them to mark my design on Sulky Solvy, then I pin the Sulky to the quilt and do my FMQ. Once the bulk is cut away, the remainder washes out. Never had a problem using the markers this way.
    That is a good idea! I washed my sample block and all the marks came out. I'm going to mark it up again and wait a day or two before washing and see how it does. But, I think I like your idea better just for the ..."just in case".
    I had bought a roll of paper from a medical supply store (exam table paper) for about $6. I draw up my designs on that - very handy for the borders. Then I put the Sulky over it and draw it with the washable markers. Pin to the quilt and go for it! It's less to clean up afterwards and dissolves in the wash. I always wash my quilts after they're done anyway. Watch for sales or use coupons at Joann's to get the sulky for a decent price. I trim it lengthwise for the borders so there isn't as much waste.

    Good luck!
    I wash my quilts when they're done too. Thanks for the info, I'll be watching for those coupons and sales.

  9. #9
    Senior Member susanwilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    Do not press or heat set the crayola marker lines as this will make the marks permanent.
    Thanks jdiane, that is really good to know!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.