Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washable crayons and markers >

Washable crayons and markers

Washable crayons and markers

Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM

Has anyone ever tried the childrens washable crayons or markers? I am quilting a sample square now that I have marked up using both the crayons and markers. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I didn't have any problem witht the sample that I did, but there have been quite a few posts of people who had problems, especially with the green.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM

I have and I hope you have better luck of it coming out than I did. I still had a faint line of the whole thing. I wasn't pleased. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM

I use the washable markers, but not directly on the fabric. I use them to mark my design on Sulky Solvy, then I pin the Sulky to the quilt and do my FMQ. Once the bulk is cut away, the remainder washes out. Never had a problem using the markers this way.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I use the washable markers, but not directly on the fabric. I use them to mark my design on Sulky Solvy, then I pin the Sulky to the quilt and do my FMQ. Once the bulk is cut away, the remainder washes out. Never had a problem using the markers this way.
That is a good idea! I washed my sample block and all the marks came out. I'm going to mark it up again and wait a day or two before washing and see how it does. But, I think I like your idea better just for the ..."just in case".
Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
That is a good idea! I washed my sample block and all the marks came out. I'm going to mark it up again and wait a day or two before washing and see how it does. But, I think I like your idea better just for the ..."just in case".
I had bought a roll of paper from a medical supply store (exam table paper) for about $6. I draw up my designs on that - very handy for the borders. Then I put the Sulky over it and draw it with the washable markers. Pin to the quilt and go for it! It's less to clean up afterwards and dissolves in the wash. I always wash my quilts after they're done anyway. Watch for sales or use coupons at Joann's to get the sulky for a decent price. I trim it lengthwise for the borders so there isn't as much waste.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Do not press or heat set the crayola marker lines as this will make the marks permanent.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I had bought a roll of paper from a medical supply store (exam table paper) for about $6. I draw up my designs on that - very handy for the borders. Then I put the Sulky over it and draw it with the washable markers. Pin to the quilt and go for it! It's less to clean up afterwards and dissolves in the wash. I always wash my quilts after they're done anyway. Watch for sales or use coupons at Joann's to get the sulky for a decent price. I trim it lengthwise for the borders so there isn't as much waste.

Good luck!
I wash my quilts when they're done too. Thanks for the info, I'll be watching for those coupons and sales.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Do not press or heat set the crayola marker lines as this will make the marks permanent.
Thanks jdiane, that is really good to know!