Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Washable marking pencil?

I am a bit new at quilting. I have made 5 so far. My first question to all of you is what do you use to mark on the quilt top? The things I have used so far say washable but they really are not.

Thank you for any ideas.

I use chalk. I know this washes out...

I tried Crayola washable markers and they washed right out. There are some colors that don't wash out as well as others though. I used the light pink. I'd test on a scrap.

Great ideas both! I will check them out...thank you so much. I am getting ready to finish another baby quilt for another new baby in the family and will need to try something new.

Banned
    Try Multi=Pastel Chalk pencils in either white or light grey. they erase and are washable. I believe any chalk should be brushed off before washing as chalk will cake.
    the Multi Pastel is a combination of chalk and clay.
    Some like the Sketch and Wash which is a washable graphite. Looks deadly but also erases and washes out.
    these three are made by General Pencil Co and available in some quilt shops and in an art supply store.
    I would recommend avoiding a chalk with color as the color does not often come out when washed.
    The new cermanic mechanical pencil is working for me on black batik. Brands are Fons and Porter, Sew Line and Collins and available in the big box fabric store.

For dark colors I use a sliver of soap. Fons and Porter chalk pens

Generals chalk pencil's from aaron brothers, my teacher for FMQ swears buy them, says they work better than anything you will find in a quilt shop

I like chalk.