Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a washed quilt....how does it look? >

a washed quilt....how does it look?

a washed quilt....how does it look?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM

I like the way my quilts look after washing and the way they smell. I use Tide with Febreeze.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM

I like the washed look.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Yep, that's the look. I love it! (in reply to the message with the quilt photo link attached)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Yes I wash as there are body oils, cat hair and probably dog hair clinging to it somewhere and people can be allergic to these hairs as well as being offensive to receive one with hairs on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 AM

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Sidmona, that's a beautiful quilt. Thanks for the photo.

You all have valid points. The reason that I want to wash this one is because the person I am giving it to is a bit particular. She likes things just so and I'm thinking like Shelley..she'll be disappointed when she washes it the first time. On the other hand, I don't want to see that disappointed look when she opens the gift and looks at a 'puckered' quilt. I guess I'm just insecure about giving this one.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 AM

Before I gift a quilt I always wash it. That makes sure that it's clean and that all the colors are set and will not bleed.
Just did a turning 20 flannel one with maroon flannel as the backing. Being flannel none of them were washed and none of them ran. Just lucky on this one.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

i wash every quilt i make before it goes anywhere, that way i am assured there will be no unpleasant surprises for whom ever the quilt goes to, does not matter if it's a gift, a consignment or just one i sell. I want to know everything is fine first. if you leave it for the recipient to wash the first time and a color runs (heaven forbid!) or a seam come loose or it needs blocking i can fix what ever the issue is before the (non-quilter) sees it, that way they do not have to endure any un-do stress over it and i am confident that it is as perfect as can be. the only quilt i would not wash would be a wall hanging that will never be washed. if the quilt is ever going to need washing it gets the first one from me.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 AM

How the quilt will look after washing depends on a couple of factors:

1. Were the fabrics prewashed, before the quilt was constructed? If the answer is yes, the fabrics will not shrink with an additional washing and keep their current shape.

2. What type of batting was used? Cotton batting tends to give the crinkled look of antique quilts. Polyester batting tends to keep the as constructed look, but may look a bit more puffy after washing.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Ranger, if you give her the quilt 'puckered' she'll know that that's how it is supposed to look. There should be little change when she does happen to wash it. It's the change from a flat, crisp quilt to a crinkled quilt that I try to avoid, especially with non-quilters. She'll fall in love with the crinkled, soft, and cuddly quilt and will never know the flat original state, and quilts with non-poly batts are only flat until that first wash!!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Thank you to all who replied with your views and insights. I have decided that I will wash it. You are all the best!