Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing backing? >

Washing backing?

Washing backing?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Do you wash, dry, and iron 108" backing? That's a heck of a lot of ironing!!

I didn't the last one I did, I just put it in the dryer for awhile to get the folded creases out. I'm about to put another quilt in the frame and I don't think I will wash that one either. This quilt is made from jelly rolls so they weren't pre-washed, the border isn't pre-washed since it is from the same fabric collection so I figured I would keep them the same so they wouldn't shrink differently. The backing is also from the same collection.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I just put it in the dryer for awhile to get the folded creases out.
I don't wash backing fabric unless it feels really stiff, but have often cursed over the creases. I'm going to try the dryer tip, thank you! :-)
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

I would either wash it all or leave it all alone, personally. If you are using all fabric from the same collection if it shrinks it should shrink evenly. Don't you just love that wide fabric backing :wink:
Old 04-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Same here, if you did not wash the fabrics on the front of the quilt, don't wash the backing fabric. I do, however press my backs before I spray baste my quilts, I don't want the crease. Most of the time I am piecing my backs from regular width fabrics.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM

The wide backing is great! That is the worse part for me, to piece two lengths of fabric.

You can also toss a wet wash cloth in the dryer with it to get some steam going for the creases. I do that with clothes I have let sit in the dryer too long before taking them out so they wrinkled. Too busy doing other things like sewing.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I have washed all on some projects, none in some projects, and some in some projects. No horror stories with shrinkage yet.

No kidding - THAT would be a lot of ironing. (Not my favorite part either)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

If I haven't washed the front I don't wash the backing. If I have washed the quilt top I DO wash the backing. Just to be safe..
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 PM

I do the same... sometimes I pre-wash, sometimes I don't. I couldn't say exactly WHY I make that decision. Maybe it's the feel of the fabric, maybe because I am using parts that I can't pre-wash like jelly rolls. I do keep them consistent, all washed or all not.

Today I got some flannel for backing on two baby quilts and I will definately wash that. I washed the fabrics in those quilts too because I wanted them softer and I didn't use any starch in the construction.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM

For my grand kids I have been using fleece on the back, per request, and do the same as everyone else,if I wash the front ,I wash the back :D
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM

I agree - it's hard to know what to do. 108" makes an easy backing, but will it shrink? I just cross my fingers and iron the fold marks out!