Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing directions for quilt that bleeds >

Washing directions for quilt that bleeds

Washing directions for quilt that bleeds

Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Washing directions for quilt that bleeds

I read an article called "Help my bleeding quilt" on a previous board. I cannot find it & wonder if anyone can help me. Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 PM

I'll be watching to see the answers, although I pre-wash almost everything in hot water. Even gifted scraps, that go into mesh laundry bags.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:50 PM

I am in Canada and we can buy a product that you put in the washer to catch colors so they won't bleed. Maybe you have this or something similar in the US. Here is a link and a photo of the product.
http://www.shoutitout.com/en-US/Prod...r-catcher.aspx

PS: I have a friend who used a similar product that she bought at a fabric store in Canada and she said it worked great on a quilt that she was concerned about washing.

Last edited by Melanie Rudy; 06-29-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy View Post
I am in Canada and we can buy a product that you put in the washer to catch colors so they won't bleed. Maybe you have this or something similar in the US. Here is a link and a photo of the product.
http://www.shoutitout.com/en-US/Prod...r-catcher.aspx

PS: I have a friend who used a similar product that she bought at a fabric store in Canada and she said it worked great on a quilt that she was concerned about washing.
I use SHOUT color catcher sheets here in Florida. Think they are the same, just a different brand. If something is really bad to fade -like some dark reds, purples, etc.- I use 3 or 4 sheets. Put in water and agitate a minute before adding the quilt. (I do not prewash my fabrics.)
Old 06-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

What I would recommend is Synthrapol, which is a type of detergent. Synthrapol suspends loose dye particles in the water so they can be rinsed away. Be aware of two things. (1) Synthrapol requires hot water to be effective, and (2) you want to use a machine that uses a lot of water so that any additional dye bleeds are diluted. Domestic front-loaders do *not* use enough water for washing quilts that might bleed.

I always do my first wash of a quilt at the laundromat using their largest front-loading washing machine, Synthrapol, and hot water. This way any loose dye particles are suspended in the water and rinsed away, without a chance of settling into other fabrics. I have never had to wash a quilt more than once this way.

If you are dealing with a quilt which already has dye bleeds in it, Synthrapol will work to lift the dye bleeds out of the fabric but it may take more than one washing with Synthrapol to do the job completely. (Most dyes these days are not permanently set even with heat from a dryer, which is why Synthrapol still works even after dyes have bled into fabrics.)

Many dye bleeds are the result of over-saturation at the factory, with more dye in the original fabric than the fabric fibers can absorb. This excess dye, which is not permanently set, gets loose in the water and is picked up by other fabrics. Synthrapol helps prevent this "picking up" by other fabrics, and also works to get loose dye particles out of fabric.

Edit: Here's a link to a thread that shows the effectiveness of Synthrapol on dye bleeds:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...x-t144836.html

Last edited by Prism99; 06-29-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 PM

I have done some quilts in vibrant reds, blues, and whites -- I always use a dye fixative (from Ritz Dye - purchased online ), then wash and rinse the fabric again, dry and iron before I cut out the pieces for the quilt blocks! Follow directions on package! Works Great!

Jeanette
Old 06-30-2015, 04:32 AM

i believe that this document is the one you were looking for. It is a link from vickiwelsh.com