Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a finished quilt >

Washing a finished quilt

Washing a finished quilt

Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM

What is a color catcher? I was reading and don't understand what you are talking about.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:55 PM

Ah, i googled it and found out.
I also ran across this too:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/v.../991542146001/
Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 PM

Assuming bed-size means twin, you should be find to pop it in the washer. I use a dye-free detergent like Tide Free or All Free. I never use anything else (NO Clorox 2 or fabric softener). I wash twice in the coldest water setting on the slowest speed for the shortest cycle (Tap Water Cold / Handwash Cycle / 6 minute agitation). Then I put it in the dryer on Low heat until it is mostly dry. I hang it over the shower curtain rod or lay it flat to dry (clothes pins distort the quilt too much for me).

I do this for all my quilts (100% cotton fabric, thread & batting -- though I've also done a poly batt for home dec items) and they all come out great! No bleeding. No shrinking. Just that nice crinkly look that all cotton quilts get when they are loved. I like washing & drying twice because it makes the quilt extra soft to present to the recipient.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

I use Woolite and fabric softener. The last one I just finished was red-white-and-blue and some of the fabric had not been prewashed. Tossed 3 color catchers in a mesh bag (because we have a front loader) and washed in cold. Did that about 3 times until the catchers came out clean. Hindsight - I should have gone to the Laundromat.

Color catchers come about 25 to a packet and they are relatively inexpensive.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
With bright colors, and no pre-wash I would take it to a Laundromat. Use a large capacity machine with lots of water and several color catchers. You want lots and lots of water to keep any color run suspended in the water & not deposited on your quilt. I just use a tiny bit (like 25%) of my regular laundry detergent.
I agree 100%
Old 08-19-2015, 02:29 AM

Thanks for all the info. I did go to a laundromat and used a double load washer. I used an organic, dye-free, scent-free, chemical-free detergent in cold water with three color catchers and partially dried it on low. I finished drying it draped over two poles in the backyard in the shade. No problems whatsoever. I will, however, get into the habit of washing my yardage beforehand. Thank sgsin.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

I do not prewash and I wash all my finished quilts in my home top loader old fashioned lots of water washing machine with scent free laundry detergent (I make my own powder) with a couple color catchers and then put in the dryer. I've never had a seam come out or any bleeding. I mark with crayola markers if I mark, and use Elmer's washable school glue. If I give a quilt to someone I know they will never give it any special care so I don't either just to see what will happen. Many years and quilts later, nothing bad has ever happened. Maybe one day and I will be sorry, but so far so good. The only thing that has never come out of a quilt is some kind of chalk I used to mark my hand quilted queen sized. And I washed that in the washer and put it in the dryer. All good.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I use Synthrapol if I think there is any chance of bleeding, but since I pre-wash everything I usually feel safe with the final wash. I have Orvus on hand (it's made for horses, but is excellent for quilts) but sometimes I forget and just use my regular mild unscented detergent. I bought my big jar of Orvus at a farm store - much cheaper than buying it at a quilt shop!

That's what I use too, every time I wash a quilt. Bought mine at farm & fleet......
Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 AM

I usually don't use detergent when washing a finished quilt unless it's a little dirty. Then I just use Gain. I have some Synthrapol for washing fabrics that might bleed. Also, I have heard quilters recommend Norvus.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I wash all my quilts when they're finished, just to make sure there's no loose seams, etc. I use my regular detergent and a couple color catchers, more if the quilt has dark colors. I don't give them special treatment. I make quilts that are going to be used and used up, so I know they will be washed over and over without special treatment.

Cari
Me too and I have a front loading washer. No problems. If it is bigger than a twin, I may soak in Synthaphol in the bathtub with color catchers first.