Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a finished quilt >

Washing a finished quilt

Washing a finished quilt

Old 08-20-2015, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

Every quilt I make is laundered as the final step after binding. I launder them the same way I expect the recipient will. For kids quilts I toss them in the washer, normal ( always use) detergent, warm water, regular cycle. Then I toss them in the dryer, regular cycle. I've never had one damaged, ungiftable, and I know that it is going to be OK for the child/family to use, launder without mishap.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:23 AM

I wash all my quilts before giving away. HE washer, Downey, and Color Catchers, with rinse twice. I also per wash all fabrics prior to cutting.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:35 AM

I don't use a wash cycle just a cold rinse and spin with a handful of salt, just in case a colour runs.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I prewash every fabric that comes into my house. I keep washing until the water runs clear. I'm very anal about prewashing. I don't want to have to deal with bleeding and with what I've seen how some people handle fabric in the store with disregard like wiping their sweaty necks and such. I definitely prewash.
Ewwwwwww, never even thought of those things! I usually prewar before but never washed after I'm done.. hmmm may have to get color catchers. Like laundromat idea!!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
I don't use a wash cycle just a cold rinse and spin with a handful of salt, just in case a colour runs.
Handful of salt?? Does that work like the color catchers people mentioned? Like salt idea!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Handful of salt?? Does that work like the color catchers people mentioned? Like salt idea!!!
Yes I have found it works great, I missed a bright red fabric, used it on a doggy bed and the first time the wee pup had a drink it ran like hell, so I put it in my machine on a cold rinse with a handful of salt, it got most of the bleeding out but also "set" the colours and helps stop fading.

It is an old old tip that I got from my Granny but if you google it you will find a lot of references to it to stop fading of bright colours, sorry should have posted the tip earlier but in my ignorance I thought you all knew.