Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing quilt pieces >

washing quilt pieces

washing quilt pieces

Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM

I wash pre-cuts but I wouldn't really wash something that I had cut to size already. If you're just looking to get the sizing out, you could try a piece or two washing in cold water in the sink & then lying flat to dry. Other than cheapy Hobby Lobby fabrics and a few from JAF, I usually don't have problems with shrinking, but if you put them in the machine, they are likely to fray just a bit (maybe 1/8" to 1/4" tops) and that will throw everything off.

I don't pre-wash for fear things will shrink after they're quilted -- with the exception of flannel -- but rather because (1) I want as many chemicals out as possible since I make baby quilts, and (2) I have some difficulty with applique work due to the sizing (e.g., WonderUnder will not adhere properly if there is sizing in the fabric).
Old 11-16-2014, 05:45 PM

I never prewash anything except flannels and agree with DoghouseMom about everything else. For goodness sake, don't wash pieces you have already cut and don't prewash those quilt tops! froggyintexas
Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 AM

I don't pre-wash my fabrics, with the exception of batiks and have never had a problem. Pre-washing, yea or nay, is a personal choice.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:26 AM

I have nothing to add except to say welcome to quilting. I am a non-prewasher. Only exceptions are if I think a color will run and of coarse flannel.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 AM

Do not wash the pieces you have already cut. I don't prewash any fabrics but I do check reds for bleeding before I use them. Never had a problem.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 AM

I never prewash. I would have to do it at a Laundry Mat, so I don't prewash.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM

I am a pre-washer, but not after the pieces are cut. I think you might have a mess on your hands.

I pre-wash because my dear Granny taught me to, about 40 years ago. Since then, I have learned that most shrinkage occurs in a hot dryer. It is the pounding that shrinks the fabric. If a quilter doesn't pre-wash, it will probably shrink after the first washing, and then you have the fabric and batting and back all shrink at different degrees, and if you use polyester thread, that thread doesn't shrink, so it gets tighter as the cloth shrinks. Over time it can cut through a fiber slightly.

Some wonderful quilter here at the forum gave the best advise ever! Now I do what she does; baste the edges of the quilt before you wash and dry, then you don't have the fabric all knotted up from the fraying. When you remove the basting, you slip the point of your snips under a few threads, cut, then turn over and find the thread to pull and it all comes out easily.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I DO NOT WASH my fabrics yours should be fine
I never have either. All are fine. Including multi-washed dog beds.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I am one of those who pre washes everything. You don't know where the fabrics have been and after they come into the store, people who handle them. I have seen people come into the store who are sweaty from the heat and wiped themselves with the fabric. Had to laugh once at a woman who bought some inexpensive sale fabric and wiped her brow with it. Her sunburned sweaty brow was green. So yes. one reason why I was my fabric. And it makes me sneeze! I usually use the inside of my lapel or shirt when I sneeze.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM

Prewashing is about 50/50. Even in my house, it's about the same. I prewash about half the time. I wouldn't worry about it.