Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilts in a front loading machine >

Washing Quilts in a front loading machine

Washing Quilts in a front loading machine

Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Any tips on using your front loading machine for washing your quilts? I've always had a top loader and would let the quilt soak and hand agitate and use the rinse/spin cycle to get most of the water out and then dry the quilt flat. Seems to me since the front load washer doesn't fill to what level you set (only to about 1/2 of whatever load you have) that it just wouldn't get as clean as with the top loading. Also, what quilt cleaning product works well. Thanking you in advance for your advice.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM

I have a front loader. I use the normal/casual setting and then change the spin speed to medium. I just use a little bit of Tide and a tiny bit of Downey and a couple of color catchers.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM

I have a front loader and use the delicate cycle and medium speed spin. I use just a touch of Tide Total Care and don't use fabric softener (read somewhere that you shouldn't use fabric softener on quilts b/c it weakens the fabrics).
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM

I've used my front loader for lots of my quilts - crib to queen size. My first king size is still in the making :)

I use a quick wash with a dab of Orvus or a gentle detergent like Woolite. And I put them in the dryer too!

We only just are able to purchase Colour Catchers, am throwing that in now too.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM

I have a front loader and I just throw them in there just like I do my comforters. My machine has a setting for heavy bedding which is wonderful. A little bit of tide and away she goes!

Tracy
Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM

I just have a question?
If a front load can not effectivly get a quilt clean without using a huge ammount of water to soak in then how is it going to get clothing that is actually soiled (ya know really kid kinda grime dirty) clean?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM

I usually put it in on the speed wash, which is 34 minutes, depends what the quilt is going to be used for, but I usually wash in hot water, when I have prewashed, and when I have not I use warm so it get the vintage look. Use a little Tide and color catchers. I also find that my front load washes better than my top load did and is more economical.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth "Liz"
I usually put it in on the speed wash, which is 34 minutes, depends what the quilt is going to be used for, but I usually wash in hot water, when I have prewashed, and when I have not I use warm so it get the vintage look. Use a little Tide and color catchers. I also find that my front load washes better than my top load did and is more economical.
Uhhh, what are color catchers??
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

I have had my front loader for 6 years now and I have never had an issue with my clothes not getting clean. It may reduce the amount of water, but I have washed many quilts and have never had a problem. They come out beautiful! I use a quick cycle and it still gets them clean. I use tide with fabreeze and I use Lavender liquid bounce.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Shout color catchers are little cloths that "catch" any excess dyes that may be floating around in the water from items that are being washed. So if a fabric is going to bleed, a color catcher will help keep it from getting on anything else.