Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Watched Hoarders >

Watched Hoarders

Watched Hoarders

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM

I've been thinking for a few day's now.I think i'm going to start going into my sewing room closet and get my old quilt magazines that i no longer look at, out and do something with them.My American Patchwork& Quilting magazines.It's a hard choice to make,but i have to do it.But i could change my mind.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Good Luck, Still find inspiration from some published in the 80's , but glad I don't have all of the collections:)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM

I have tried and tried-but just can't part with mine-I have well over 300 magazines and still subscribe to most publications! The longest has been Quiltmaker-since I started quilting in 2000! I still go through them and find new inspiration and patterns that I really love! Some of my Xmas projects this year were from old mags. Good luck-
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 PM

I made the decision to cut back on my magazine collection earlier this year. I collect several different ones and although I have my favorites but still had way too many magazines. So I started going through them and copying my favorite ones for my personal use. I didn't want to tear out pages and ruin the magazine for someone else. I have 3 quilting friends who are part of my mini group and so we passed them around. The idea was that after all of us went through all the magazines they were then donated to our guild's free table. If you don't belong to a guild why not consider taking them to your senior center if there is a group of quilters that meet there. If no group there, take them to your thrift store. I still look for magazines there.
Think of it as making space for more fabric. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 PM

They are not any good in the closet,and i don't have room anywhere else.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM

I have more newer ones to put in their place.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 AM

I have started going though my magazines. I pull out the patterns that are easy and that I like and really may someday make and put them in one binder. I also pull out good helpful hints. I then bring them to work and the woman there do the same. I feel bad for the one that get it last...all very hard patterns left. It easier to give things away then to throw them out.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 AM

Yea, Hoarders LOL. That show finally made me clean out my magazine stash. I sent out 6 boxes (about 30 mags each) through the Pay It Forward section here. A flat-rate box holds 30 mags nicely and costs $10.70 to mail. It was worth it to me: I got extra space and everyone who rec'd the mags enjoyed them. Even old mags are new to someone.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 AM

I can't seem to part with mine, but that show did inspire me to organize them in 3 ring binders. :-D
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Funny how that show has an effect on us huh ? DH teased me about it, even though my "mess" was just in one room ...
I went through lots of stuff when I converted DD's room to a sewing room this year. I've put mag. patterns in binders before, problem is, I still have TOO many after 20+ yrs of quilting ! It really did help to reorganize and refresh. I gave away a lot of fabric for linus quilts and to GS troops.