Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Watching the bidding war on Ebay, FUN >

Watching the bidding war on Ebay, FUN

Watching the bidding war on Ebay, FUN

Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 AM

I also have purchased many things from eBay over the years. I had one bad incident. Bought a vintage Victorian House cookie jar. Came in pieces. Contacted the seller, heard nothing. Contacted eBay, seller then contacted me and returned my money. Bought a beautiful Singer "Lotus" treadle head. Arrived in perfect condition. You do need to know what your top $$ is. Set it and walk away. Most of the time, I don't watch the auction. I'm too cheap to spend that much $$ without a LOT of guarantees. My BIL worked for a Dodge dealership and sold cars off eBay. Sold one to someone in Alaska (he was in Toledo).
Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 AM

I bought a brand new Babylock sewing/embroidery machine still in the box for half what they cost at the dealer. The lady bought two of them thinking she could do commercial type embroideries and found out that wasn't what they were intended for and she tried to return them but the dealer wouldn't take them back so she sold them on E-bay. She had opened one to find that out but sent me the one still packed in original packaging, sealed plastic bags just as they came from the factory. It is a wonderful machine and there is no Babylock dealer closer than 250 miles from where I live so that part isn't important to me.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
The most expensive priced machine in the brand. It was the Janome 12000 that the
MSRP ( manufacturer suggested sales price) is $12,000. Of course no one will have to pay MSRP if they bargain with the shop but still, $4850.00 is an incredible price. It was supposedly "hardly used".

Sandy
while on a cruise they had one $12000 machine and the last day they would discount it down to 6500.00...LOL so she really got a deal..WOW
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I know one sewing machine dealer/repair who buys gently used machines on Ebay. Label them used and re sell with shop warranty at a much higher price then he paid for it. The customer gets a deal and the dealer made $ profit. He now has sellers calling him first before putting on Ebay. He calls customers who have said I want this machine if you find one used. Where do sellers get these TOL machines? They don't buy them at full price to sell for much less. ?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I bought two sewing machines off ebay and will never again...Both machines I bought at separate times and from two different sellers. Neither one was what they were advertised to be...The second one I bought was an Elna 68 SU, it burned up on the first use....The second one has a motor that is ready to go so I have the two of them to use for parts in case I need them for the two I have that are still going...As for Ebay, I now say Buyer Beware.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 AM

I like a good deal as much as the next person but one also has to look at the "hidden" costs. - Do you have a dealer who will work on the machines? My dealer will help me over the phone and lets me know when I need to bring it in for service. Do you have someplace where you can take classes? I get them free with my machine. I like the support of my dealer - I would rather pay more and know that if I have an issue I have someone I can go to. Just depends on what a person wants to deal with I guess.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM

I purchased a Husq. Viking Designer Diamond Delux (TOL) on E-Bay. It was a "Buy it Now" for $3600 and $100 shp. The description of condition: "Immaculate" and very low hours. I could not afford to buy one NEW from a dealer as they wanted close to $7000 plus the tax yet, so I would never be able to own one. So I decided to take a chance and I was so pleased. When it arrived, "everything" was so carefully wrapped in foam core & bubble plastic, (even the manuals), Most of the accessories were even still in the factory sealed packages. And they even enclosed 15 packs of Schmetz needles, and other sewing notions worth another $100 or so. In corresponding with the seller, I was told that he and his wife and sister, bought the machine for their mom's Bithday and she passed away 6 mo. later. I was so fortunate to be able to find that deal. (The man even paid extra shipping out of his own pocket to ship the machine to me faster because I told him I was going out of town and did not want the machine setting on my doorstep while I was away. I offered to pay him and he just said no, he was glad to do that for me). So sometimes you can find a really special deal and a really sincere seller. But I would also warn to beware and check things out on a high price item before you buy. I just took a chance and lucked out!! This time it paid to take a chance.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 AM

It is interesting to watch things on eBay for sure. Did you all see the wild and crazy auction that Monroe posted over on the vintage sewing machine thread about an eBay auction for Guinea Pig Armor?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t224209.html
Mind boggling!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

My experience with Ebay and sewing machine: Only bid the amount of money you are willing to throw in the garbage!. "TOP" - great but "hardly used" is only a sales gimmick - what that means to you isn't what that means to me. Remember BUYER BEWARE!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM

I've bought 3 machines off Ebay,taking the chance, and have been very fortunate....Janome MC 300E. $550. SO lucky to have the seller help me with the Embird program. I really bugged that poor lady for information...Now it's old hat...
Jukie TL98Q..$370..Very nice machine.. Singer 403 from back East that was very musty smelling. Never got rid of smell..Just sold that one..Nice machine otherwise...All off Ebay...
I always requested they pack really well...