Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water saluable markers >

Water saluable markers

Water saluable markers

Old 08-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Some on the board have written that they use the washable markers for marking their quilts. I went to purchase some and when I read the directions on the back I was wary. It says to wash the marks off promptly with hot water. Those of you that use these markers, do you:
1. Wash your quilt top as soon as you are finished quilting (before binding)?
2. Wash your quilt in hot water?

What about if you don't finish the quilting in one session? Are the marks harder to remove if you wait awhile? Would really like to hear from you that use these markers.

The markers I'm talking about are the washable markers that kids use, Crayola brand.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 AM

I would be very careful when marking a quilt. I thought I would try a small wholecloth quilt, and marked the whole thing. The marks disappeared before I did 1/4 of the quilt. Another time, the marks didn't ever go away--different marker. I would test EVERY time I marked a quilt. They always react diffeently.
Sue
Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

i usually use Dritz blue washable markers and they come off just with spritzing if you miss mark a line. i do soak and spin out my quilts twice though when done to remove all the marker from the quilt layers.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 AM

I've used the Dritz or Clover water soluble markers alot. I remove the marks as I complete an area with a damp cloth and...so far...haven't had a problem. I think it would be a good idea to rinse them completely when finished.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i usually use Dritz blue washable markers and they come off just with spritzing if you miss mark a line. i do soak and spin out my quilts twice though when done to remove all the marker from the quilt layers.
Ditto, I love these markers, I just bought everyone walmart had!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM

the crayola markers are for coloring not quilting. Use only those designated for quilting.

Julia
www.digitalartquilts.com
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

There are people who use washable Crayola markers and have really good luck with them. You do have to experiment and test them on fabrics. There are also certain colors that do not wash out completely. It seems like green might be one of the colors that does not wash out, but I can't remember.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 AM

I have heard people say there are some colors of the Crayola markers that don't wash out as well as others.

I used the one with the light pink cap to mark a queen size triple Irish chain in the plain squares. It took me at least a couple of weeks, and probably closer to three weeks, from the time I first started until the binding was done. I washed the quilt in hot water. The marker came out and the quilt is fine. Since that quilt was a 12 year old UFO I think the fabrics were probably pre-washed. The batting is a Quilter's Dream select weight and it wasn't pre-shrunk.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 AM
dd

I've been using Crayola washable markers for years and never had a problem. I have left quilts go for month with the marks on them and they came out. I have never washed a quilt in hot water though. I use cold water. I have iron them and they still came out. I was originally told to use them by a quilt shop owner. She has closed her shop and now sells kits on the internet. She attends our quilt guild and last I talked to her she was still using them also. Never a problem here, must be our hard water.lol
Old 08-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

what ever you choose to mark with needs to be tested on your project- not every marker comes out every time- each project is different-
the water soluble markers for quilters are blue- and the ink disappears when spritzed with water-
if you choose to use crayola washable markers you need to test first to make sure it does in fact wash out- and as for your other questions-
wash your quilt AFTER binding- you will be very disappointed if you try to do it before binding-
and as for water temperature- that would depend on the quilt itself- and the batting used-
is the fabrics ones that can handle hot water? is the batting going to be ok in hot water?
test--and see===before marking an actual quilt---make a small sandwich with your materials- mark it- quilt it- and wash it-see how it goes- better to ruin a 12" square than a whole quilt
ive tried many different products over the years- for me i have the best results from a good ole pencil...but i still test each time to make sure it's going to come out before marking alot-i also use chalk at times-usually if i'm marking as i go along-so the quilt is loaded on the frame- chalk is easier than a pencil then.
ALWAYS TEST