Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water soluble stabiliser as a quilting template? >

Water soluble stabiliser as a quilting template?

Water soluble stabiliser as a quilting template?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 AM

Default Water soluble stabiliser as a quilting template?

Has anyone traced, marked or printed a quilting design on to water soluble stabilser? If so how did it work and would a heavier weight stabiliser be better than a lightweight one? I want to machine quilt some 12" blocks (already in a quilt top) and have a quilting design in mind but don't have a stencil (only a picture) and the fabric colours would in any case make normal marking difficult to see.
Any advice will be very welcome. T.I.A.
Doris in the U.K.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

Can you try a small sample and then spray it with a water mister to see if it dissolves well? I think it would work super for seeing your pattern. The only downsize I would think would be the price and if the whole quilt had to be washed to remove the stabilizer.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 AM

I have used this method. Also, I always use the stabilizer when I'm going to applique or embroider on towels as it holds down the nap. I've also used the plastic saran wrap that is 'sticky' because it's so cheap. Experiment and see which method or materials work best for you because each project is different and reacts differently depending on the design, the batting thickness, etc.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Banned

post a picture of the quilting design. There may be one available somewhere. Appears to me that stabilizer is a lot of expense and trouble.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 AM

When I first started quilting I used a water soluble stabilzer to draw my quilt pattern onto. It was a little bit costly but I only used it in the borders. After I was done, I cut away the excess material as close as I could and then continued with the quilting in the other areas and then binding the quilt. When everything was done, I soaked the quilt in the tub to make sure that all of the stabilizer dissolved and then I washed the quilt as I normally do. All of the material was gone and it looked nice.

If you can purchase by the yard that will help with the cost. I prefer the water soluble to using either paper or other materials (such as a plastic wrap, etc) because there were no little pieces to pick out of my stitches when it was all done.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM

I like to use the thin gift wrapping tissue paper stuff to draw my designs on then tape or pin it to the area I'm quilting. I've also used vellum and the old cheap typewriter paper. If you can get your hands on that paper that doctor's use to cover the exam beds--that would work very well, too. I know paper piecers that fight over the end of the rolls--LOL!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM

I like to use Sulky Solvy. It's a little more prep work drawing out the designs, but so much easier to remove. I draw my designs on it using Crayola washable markers. I never tried the glad wrap...sometimes my stitches are little and it would drive me nuts to have to pick the little bits out from the stitching.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Just a caution to test it first with your marking tool. I once quilted through tissue paper - had marked with a permanent felt tip pen (and given it plenty of time to dry). The heat of the needle caused some of the marking to transfer to the fabric. Now I only use a water-soluble pen to mark with so if it does transfer I can get the marks out.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 AM

It would work, if you don't mind the expense. It would take a lot of stabilizer to cover an entire quilt. If you decide to go this route, I recommend the thinner stuff, because it will be easier to dissolve. BTW, you have to literally soak the stuff off, spraying with water won't do it.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 AM

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. A friend is sending me a sample of WSS and I've also bought a 1 yard sample from EBay so once these arrive I can have a go and experiment.