Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waverly fabrics and others >

Waverly fabrics and others

Waverly fabrics and others

Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 PM

I was browsing at Goodwill this week and came across a full bolt of flower design Waverly fabric for $20. Since I have a huge sliding glass window that requires about 8 pleated curtain panels to cover it, and it was the right colors, I grabbed it and ran. So, a set of curtains made with pleater tape will be one of my winter projects. My question is, since I have oodles of the fabric left after rough cutting my panels, has anyone ever pieced and quilted with Waverly home decor fabrics? Do you think it would it be too difficult to use this heavier fabric to make something like a OBW for my bed as well?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 AM

it would certainly make the center bulkier where all the seams meet. Depending on the weave and how it frays, you may need to make the seams larger but you can check fraying when you make your drapes...also, it will be heavier, as you say, and you may or may not want to add batting depending on your preferences. also be sure to wash it first since many decor fabrics are made for drycleaning and not washing.

I'd probably use it but not on something with center point multiple seams like on the OBW.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

i have used waverly fabrics for the back of a couple quilts...worked well, seems like they would be fine for a quilt top as well, i would try to keep all of the fabrics in a quilt top close to the same weight, and make sure the laundering requirements are the same. it is n't any different than using corduroy or denim in your quilts
Old 10-12-2010, 03:24 AM

I use home dec fabrics for tote bags and pillows instead (3 yards of less is considered a remnant at my Joanns). I tried just a BORDER of Waverly fabric once and had a terrible time. Plus most are dry-clean only. IMHO I would stay away from that fabric for a quilt.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 AM

The biggest problem with using Waverly fabrics is that they lose their crispness and shininess when you wash them. If that doesn't bother you then use it. Just watch what else you put with it. And I would suggest as someone else did, use a 3/8" seam. It does fray more than regular cotton. I do a lot of home dec sewing, duvets, pillows etc. If it will be washed, I wash the fabric first.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 AM

I just used a bunch of home dec fabric to make a rag quilt. It came out nice.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64452-1.htm
Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 AM

I got some home dec fabric at a yard sale. Some of it says *dry clean only*. What will happen to it if I was it in the washing machine?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I got some home dec fabric at a yard sale. Some of it says *dry clean only*. What will happen to it if I was it in the washing machine?
It will shrink some, but most of all the crispness of the fabric will be lost. Some gets limper than others. Dry clean only doesn't mean that the fabric will be ruined. They state that for liability purposes. Kind of like the selvedge of flannel telling you not to use it for children's sleepwear.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks Grann, I've decided to go ahead and use it for utility projects, since it won't ruin it. :lol:
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 AM

I think I would make pillows with the left ovewrs to go with drapes