Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: waves

I'd like to make waves using different batiks--this may sound silly, but how would I cut and sew these together?

Blog Entries
    Maybe do a search for ocean landscape quilts and see how others have done this? :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by carolccharl
    I'd like to make waves using different batiks--this may sound silly, but how would I cut and sew these together?
    My thought is to put fusible on the back of the batiks. sketch the wave on to a foundation and cut shapes from the batiks to create the light and dark areas of the wave.. Then press with iron and free motion over them.

Alternatively sew random shapes of light and dark and cut the wave from the new fabric.

Rita

Blog Entries
    Alternatively sew random shapes of light and dark and cut the wave from the new fabric. Rita[/quote]
    -----------------------
    That was my idea too. Sorta like Bargello and then cut them into waves, instead of sharp lines. Probably be a lot of time used into making this more or less like Applique, but maybe not. I'm not into sewing curves much if it can be avoided. Like avoided if at all possible, but the applique I can do, even if it means sewing it by hand first with hidden stitches, then going over it with the tiniest of all zig zag stitches.

I'd REALLY have to like someone to do this for them, but might do it faster should it be for me. It sounds lovely.

MTS
    Banned
    Free form curved piecing, or a meticulously drawn pattern with curved piecing.
    The 2nd takes waaaayyyyyyyy more time than the first. ;-)

Here's an image:
    http://www.quilted-lizard.com/patterns.htm