Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wavy boarders... >

wavy boarders...

wavy boarders...

Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 AM

I'm a longarmer so when I get wavy borders on a customer quilt, I'm kind of stuck with them! I have had success with steaming them heavily with my cordless iron and shrinking them up some. I have also had some success with using spray baste and evenly distributing the waves and smoothing them to the batting. But the BEST thing to do is fix it befor quilting it. I like the suggestion given to measur through the middles and less subtract 1/4".

I recently finished a BOM, Stitchers Garden and there were multiple border pieces, one of which was 4" embroidered squares! I knew this spelled trouble and I was ever so careful...I even cut all the solid borders on the lengthwise grain! But guess what? Yep...I had some wave! I used the above tricks and managed them but they can truly be frustrating and amazingly invisible until you're quilting the quilt! Best of luck to you getting this resolved.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Batiks shouldn't be the problem. They usually have a tighter weave so there is less stretch. I do cut my borders on the straight of grain instead of cross grain which can help. I believe your problem might be in the half-square triangles pieced border.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's a suggestion that might help you tame those wavy borders.
Using this technique below, cut your twill to the length of the correct border, then "ease" in the outer border to fit the twill.

Twill tape can be found at Joannes in the rickrack/hem tape section. It has NO STRETCH and works well to stabilize things like this. Be sure to apply it within the seam allowance.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails twill-tape-crossgrain-edge.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 12-15-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 AM

I have had a wavy border only one time -- and this also happen to a quilting buddy -- we figured out that we pinned the borders to the quilt top and held the pieces on our laps, instead of laying the pieces flat on a table to pin -- since then I have used a table top to lay border and top out and pin them together without problems of wavy borders -- good luck to you!!
Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Thank you Jan for reminding me about the twill tape! I took a class where the teacher suggested that method and I totally forgot. I need to make myself a note!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I am doing more than one border, I always sew the borders together and then attach the border unit in one step. Sewing borders on one by one, I always ended up with some waves.
Tartan is correct. Sewing multiple borders especially when pressing and sewing them individually can easily stretch them.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Geri B, Sorry about the spelling, long late evenings. yes I measure top, bottom and middle and ease any difference in. I was only 1/4 inch off all 3 measurements. I could not sew the borders together because of the design I want to have with the 1/2 square triangles. Like I said I had never had this happen before. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Maybe it's in the 1/2 square triangles (just a guess). I'm a batiks exclusive gal and haven't had a problem with them (yet). I love Tartan's idea of sewing all the borders together as one unit and then putting them on the quilt. Great idea.
I did use 1/2 square triangles for one border, there is a good chance I turned these around or up side down to get the design I wanted. I like working with batiks and didn't want this to make me shy away from them.