Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy border, to redo or not? >

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM

It's a gorgeous quilt. I love the colors!

Your decision to make is "What can I live with?" Will you cringe every time you see the quilt with wavy borders? If so, you'd better redo it. If you can look at wavy borders and smile about how much you've learned since then, leave them be.

What do redo and no redo is dependent on the quilter.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 AM

If I chose to redo I would just remove the last border.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 AM

A lot depends on the look you are after, too. If you are after the crinkly look that cotton batting gets after washed and dried, you could probably get away with it. Mytwopals already mentioned steaming/ironing it flat, which would have been my first instinct.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM

*sigh* I've thought and thought all morning about this and I think I've decided to just leave the darn things and get this quilt finished. Honestly I'm tired of looking at this quilt. It wasn't destined for anyone's house but my own so I'm calling it a lesson learned and going on with life. The 2" borders really should be replaced as well but I just don't have it in me to tear it all back down to that point. I had hoped it would turn out nice but such is life. You win some, you lose some. :) My next one will be better, and the one after that will be even better, and so on. (Can anyone tell I'm really just trying to make this okay in my mind? :P)
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 AM

My Mom always told me to put the bigger piece on the bottom. She called it "the saggy bottom" method.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 AM

Your center is so nice and flat. I agree that you need to take the borders off and re-do. Trying to work in all that extra will be a nightmare, whether you quilt this quilt or have it done.

Sweet quilt!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
*sigh* I've thought and thought all morning about this and I think I've decided to just leave the darn things and get this quilt finished. Honestly I'm tired of looking at this quilt. It wasn't destined for anyone's house but my own so I'm calling it a lesson learned and going on with life. The 2" borders really should be replaced as well but I just don't have it in me to tear it all back down to that point. I had hoped it would turn out nice but such is life. You win some, you lose some. :) My next one will be better, and the one after that will be even better, and so on. (Can anyone tell I'm really just trying to make this okay in my mind? :P)
Good attitude, quilt it heavily and go on to the next quilt.

:thumbup:
Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
HEY! You CANNOT steal my title, that of Justification Queen :)

However, I will share it with you
:lol: :lol:

I did something similar yesterday, however my quilt was not nearly as perfect and detailed as yours...my justification was that it was for an 8 year old boy (my son as well, so not even a gift for someone else's kid) and he'd never notice even though I'm sure it'll drive me nuts every time I see the binding....

BUT, it's DONE and at this point that's all I care about :)

So, I give you full permission to just move on to your next project ! :thumbup:
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM

If I had done such a careful job of piecing....I'd want to get that border flat...I'm not as concerned about the little border with the prairie points...it should get enough quilting to make it work and the ppoints are flat.

I'm fascinated with LindaR and grammy Dwynn's posts...
is this Board great, or what? I've learned a couple of ways to come up with flat boarders and square tops...their posts really expanded my horizons. That 1/2 inch less method would surely take into account the usual reduced amount of quilting shrink in the borders that I've seen a few times...ie when the body is more closely quilted and the borders are more openly quilted. I love reading the reasons behind why something will/won't work...it's so much easier to remember what to do if we can think about why we do...or it is for me anyway. Thanks ladies for sharing! And I hope this quilt will make you smile when you're finally done with it, Rachel.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Are your fabrics prewashed? If not, they may shrink and the waviness may not be as noticeable.
I like to starch all of my fabrics and it seems to help keep this from being a problem. I am one who does not always measure properly...and I do glue baste my borders,which also helps keep the waves away.