Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding dress into a quilt...suggestions please! >

Wedding dress into a quilt...suggestions please!

Wedding dress into a quilt...suggestions please!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Wedding dress into a quilt...suggestions please!

I have been hauling my wedding dress around for nearly 35 years now...over 29 moves! It is a southern style, long lace sleeve and regular neckline, with a hoop skirt. Fabric is..don't really know but it is a solid skirt, bit on the stiffer side with a maybe tulle like (softer) over skirt which also is the large ruffle that goes around the bottom of the skirt.

Anyway, My daughter didn't want to wear it, and I doubt my grand daughters will want to wear "that old thing", pretty as it is, but I keep telling myself that i want to do something with it, but need help!

I was in the beginning going to cut the skirt off and make it into a nice formal skirt but that never happened. Now...what about a quilt? Anyone got any ideas of how to use this type of fabric in a quilt? I have never worked with this kind of thin, lacy, satin-y kind of fabric. The bodice is all lace.

I don't figure it'd be good enough or enough yardage to use just the fab from the dress for a full quilt, so I'd have to make it the accent fabric. It is white and I just dont' want an all white quilt either! But I want a quilt that is usable. I am past the days of making things "for company" or "just for nice"...those things never happened and I am now in my twilight days, using all that stuff for myself...I think I am special and company enough! Okay, so I'm not that old, but still.. I want to use the quillt even if it is just at the tv!

And suggestions, tips, videos etc on some ideas to incorporate it into a pretty, usable, but nice quilt?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM

There was another thread a few days ago addressing that same subject. If you go to search and put in wedding dress into quilt, it should come up.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Put it into storage to display at your 50th wedding anniversary party. I have my dress, veil, ring pillow, cake top, shoes and going away dress. I have now been married 51 1/2 years. I was so happy I had those and my wedding album to display. Of course we have only lived in two houses, so didnt move them.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Niece made her's into a Christmas tree skirt!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

If it's still pretty and in good condition - why not keep it for a while longer?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM

Hope somebody has an answer also. I bought a very large, ornate, wedding dress at a garage sale a few years ago for $1 and it has been hanging on the back of my spare bedroom door ever since. It is a high neck, long sleeve dress with LOTS of lace and a ton of buttons, etc. Need to do something with it soon.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM

I have one that was left behind in a storage unit that I'm going to use in a crazy quilt....but before you decide that your granddaughters will never want it, wait until they're old enough to decide for themselves...I know a LOT of brides that would kill to be able to marry in their grandmother's dress....or their great grandmother's dress....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

here's the post from the other day:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t187203.html
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM

My daughter had her seamstress make hers into three baby blankets. One side is the satin and lace and the other is very soft white Minkee. She now has one for each of her kids and hopefully they will use them for Christenings etc. for their own children someday. I thought it was a great idea and much easier to pack and move than a great big dress box.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Another way to preserve your wedding dress is have a Christening dress made for your grandchild or great grandchild. My daughter's M-I-L did that with her wedding dress and it was a beautiful christening gown.
Sue