Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Dress Quilt Questions >

Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Old 02-14-2016, 11:30 PM

A labour of love to make and use the dress.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:37 AM

Good luck on making the quilt , I did make my children Christening gown from my wedding dress , lined it with a very soft cotton slip and then embroidered their names on it as they were christened , five new little ones have come in to our lives since the day we were married and have enriched our lives no end , we are Blessed .
Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542731[/ATTACH]Here is a lap quilt I made for my friend's daughter after my friend passed. Friend had always insisted she didn't know where the wedding dress was...and it was found hidden away in her stored things. The dress had a spray pattern stain that I later figured out was champagne (never cleaned). I cut out the parts that were embellished and unstained and created sort of a crazy quilt using the train's curve to make it fan-shaped. Daughter was 30-something who liked pink and more contemporary design.
Attached Thumbnails weddingquilt-800x600-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 AM

Never thought of making a quilt from my wedding gown. After storing my wedding dress for 30 plus years I decided I needed to do something with it as neither of my daughters wanted to wear it. When my oldest child was going to be married I cut the gown apart. Then I made a padded photo album from it. I added to the photo album pictures of the child from birth to the wedding. I had enough fabric to make one for each child's wedding. Still have a few pieces left. A special keepsake for them.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Just a little question, you said her husband gave it to you and asked for a quilt. Are you sure she goes along with this idea?
My thought too!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 AM

[COLOR=#362F2D]>>>My BF's husband gave me her wedding dress and asked me to make a quilt out of it.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Just a little question, you said her husband gave it to you and asked for a quilt. Are you sure she goes along with this idea?
I'm thinking the same thing. A wedding dress is a very personal memento/heirloom to a bride. Some people are sentimental and some are probably not at all. My dress is nearly 50 years old and I'm asking myself right now how I would feel if my husband did that? I'm conflicted personally as I ponder this. Once I'm gone who will care one way or another...maybe our daughter?

The member who wrote that she made her friend send the dress already cut up in blocks makes the decision the 'brides' i.e. the wearer of the dress. The husband may not have fully thought this through and I would be concerned that you would be on the losing end if her heart is broken at her dress being cut up for a quilt.

I know this wasn't your question, but I would proceed with a lot of caution in 'surprising' the BFF. JMHO

Last edited by onaemtnest; 02-15-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:45 PM

I agree with the above cautions! She might not be your BF any more if you go along with this without her knowledge. I'm sure the husband's heart is in the right place, but shudder to think how I might react to a surprise of this sort!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Is she aware her wedding dress is going to be cut up? Does she have any daughters that might want to wear it or redo it?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback, picture and questions!

Just to put everyone at ease () my BF is not a very sentimental person and she was going to sell her wedding dress. Her husband is the more sentimental one and he didn't want her to. So that's when he decided to ask me to make it into a quilt.