Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wedding reception table squares

Wedding reception table squares

I'm getting married in June and headed to San Antonio. For the reception I was considering making quilt squares combining our favorite colors with fabric that contains both colors to place under the terrariums that will be centerpieces on the table. Is there a way I can fix the edges on them so that I can collect them after the reception is over and make a table runner with them? I appreciate any ideas.

How about turning the edges under and securing them with a basting stitch? Then you can just remove the basting stitch later and sew the squares together however you want.
    SittingPretty

I did this for our daughter's wedding reception a few years ago. I basted backing fabric to each square (like put them right sides together, sew around, leave an opening and then turn them inside out and stitch the opening closed). After the wedding I just took the basting stitches out and put the squares together for a quilt. It worked out beautifully!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    this is a great idea... never thought of quilted table covers for a wedding
    Nancy in western NY

You could make them a little bigger than you need for quilting and do a nice decorative serger edge which could be trimmed off when making into the quilt
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Sounds like a lovely idea but with all that needs to be arranged you had better get right on it or make your bridesmaids have a sewing day with you to get them whipped out.Usually allot of pressure around wedding plans, just saying...

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Pattypurple had the idea, but you could also just make the edges/border wider than you will need for the future, then turn it under and hem with a straight stitch. Just cut off the hem later to use them.

Sounds interesting; have a lovely special wedding day!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I wonder if you could get by with just pinking them or with pressing one inch under on each size. With a terrarium on top, I think they'd still be pretty.

I went to a wedding where something similar was done but each topper was a signature block so guests could sign it for the couple. No ideas on sewing them together.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    Just steam them under. That way there's no sewing or unsewing, just pressing with more steam to get rid of the crease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast