Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt >

Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

So my sister came to visit Friday night (yay). We never grew up together, but recognize that we're about the only family either of us really have. Our mom, and aunts/uncles are the definition of dysfunctional. Neither one of us really wants that in our lives, and her dad died a few years ago. Anyway, she came over because it had been FOREVER since we'd gotten together or hung out.

She's getting married January 2015. I mentioned that I'm now in LOVE with quilting. Since she was little she's always liked the wedding ring (double wedding ring?) pattern, and would love to be able to get a quilt like that for her wedding. I volunteered to assemble it, if she would buy the fabric.

Well, I went looking online a little bit this morning, and now I'm thinking I might have gotten myself in over my head. I'm still willing to give it a try, but could REALLY use some tips, trick, and advice on how to make this thing. Looking at a couple of patterns, A queen size (94"x94") is larger than what my MIL's longarm can comfortably quilt.

Is there a difference between "wedding ring" and "double wedding ring"?
What extra stuff would I need to get to make this?
Some of the patterns I was looking at have templates, do they all or is that extra?

HELP??!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM

Hi RoseHawk!
My dd is doing a double wedding ring quilt using the QuiltSmart method. It's her first quilt and she wanted to do it for her college roommate who is getting married in July. I highly, highly, highly (did I say HIGHLY recommend it!!! As I said,she's never quilted before and I'm just a confident beginner. She's used the Lovely collection and it's beautiful. Several people discouraged her from attempting it but it's what she really wanted to do and it's been much simplier than we expected. I think there's a video on the QuiltSmart site to give you an idea. She cut the material & made the blocks in August when she had three weeks off between getting in from her internship & starting her senior year and then sewed the jewels and the blocks together last week before heading back to school. She plans on sewing the rows together on Spring Break then off it'll go to the LAQ then finish off the week after graduation. As I said, it has been simplier than expected and she has a gift she's really proud of. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM

I love Quilt Smart! Ive made 3 Lone Stars that came out perfect. Ive also made 3 other designs. Goof proof!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM

I would also recommend using QuiltSmart to make the Double Wedding ring. I've done a QuiltSmart Mariner's Compass, and am collecting fabrics for a Double Wedding Ring that I hope to get going on sometime later this year. Do check out the videos; it is as easy as it looks!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 PM

Don't know what quilt smart is but going to google it right now...
Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM

I'm more intimidated by appliqué than by curved piecing. Lol! Think I will stick with the traditional method.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I found this Youtube video on the QuiltSmart method, in case it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OjKXQXF-Qs
Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

i googled wedding ring vs double wedding ring and i could not find any info about [single] wedding ring. it seems that the double wedding ring is the most popular pattern of all time.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
I'm more intimidated by appliqué than by curved piecing. Lol! Think I will stick with the traditional method.
Actually, the curved pieces fits perfectly on top of the sides of the block, she pinned it and use the machine's applique stitch. She said it was very simple for a beginner.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Quilt Smart preprinted sheets and the Quilt in a Day video. It can be done easily. I did one just last year. Try out a table runner just to see what you think of the process.