Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, another question after 'any advice' >

Well, another question after 'any advice'

Well, another question after 'any advice'

Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM

Has anyone made a quilt with a polyester fleece backing?
The one I purchased for my quilt is a 1-sided fleece- think sweatshirt material (because of the knit on one side and fluff on the other, that's the closest thing I can think of), and obviously the softer side out for the backing.
I want to make a nice quilt (I know, duh ;) ) that will last for a long time for my niece, have a fleece back, now I'm concerned that it will: 1. pucker 2. not look beautiful and nice after 10-50 years 3. regret that I did a fleece instead of doing a nice cotton.
What I have now that I could use in place of the fleece is a nice ivory cotton that I've also used on the top of the quilt, so it would go beautifully-
Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM

I've used fleece. I still use batting to make it stable. Then sew it "envelope" style and turn it right side out. Rather than quilting it and risk it puckering, I just put "tacks" in it every so many inches.

Just made a baby quilt this week end and used minkee fabric for the back. Very soft and slippery and I was worried about it stretching. So I did it this way.

Will load pics later and post it for you.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I've done loads of Project Linus quilts with fleece backings, because they wash well, and are very cozy. I also do them envelope style, to keep time and costs down, but I do quilt them. I pin first, about every 6 inches, and quilt with my quilting foot, and so far, no problems. Of course, I have no idea on the longevity of such a construction, but I would rather do more, this way, than fewer using a longer construction method. These are cot sized quilts, so not likely to last beyond childhood, I wouldn't have thought, unless they are turned into nursery wall hangings.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM

If it's real big....bed size....mmmmh? Fleece stretches, and have only used it for Project Linus size baby comfort quilts..