Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, I've gone and done it! >

Well, I've gone and done it!

Well, I've gone and done it!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Default Well, I've gone and done it!

My ten year old sewing machine will not run with the foot pedal. Just the start and stop button. Anyway, been debating whether to buy a new one or get it serviced. Been looking at the Brother Sewing/Embroidery Machine online at Walmart and they just lowered the price even more today to $299. So decided to order one. Hopefully, I will be happy with it; I have never had a Brother sewing machine just Janome. Wish me luck on this decision. Hopefully, I did the right thing!!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 AM

Check the connection for your foot pedal. Plug it in and unplug it a bunch of times. Clean the connectors. Check with an electrical meter. You might just need a new connection or a new pedal.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM

My Janome's foot pedal also quit working last week. It would sew for just stitch or two and quit. I had the Janome dealer at the LQS order me a new foot. It was $40. plus tax. DH took my old pedal apart, cleaned it and checked it with his voltmeter. Hubby said it showed up great but it still wouldn't work. I am not to crazy about the new pedal, it is so light weight and gets away from my foot to much.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your new machine, Brothers are great. I would probably invest in a new pedal so you will have a back up machine.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Another vote for cleaning out the old pedal, or getting a new foot.

My friend's machine started sewing all by itself. She tried several things but the one thing that fixed the problem was her husband took apart the foot and cleaned it out. It was full of dust and hair. She is quite the clean freak, so I can only imagine what MY foot pedal looks like, lol.

My machine started acting up - it would stop sewing in the middle of a seam. I tried everything I could think of, then I remembered that both of my Brother machines have the same, interchangeable feet. So I swapped them, and now my machine works great.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the replies, I just now took apart my Janome and cleaned and oiled it. The foot pedal seems to be working better. But it always starts acting up after I have sewed for a long period of time. It like it cuts out or pauses. So I guess I will be sewing heavy today to see if that took care of it. The pedal doesn't look like it comes apart or I would clean that also. My husband already looked at that. But I think it has more to do the heavy sewing. I shall see this afternoon.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:39 PM

I had to replace a foot pedal. If you like your machine, I'd think that replacing a foot pedal would be much cheaper than buying a whole new machine. However, if you want a new machine...well....
Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by cricket View Post
My ten year old sewing machine will not run with the foot pedal. Just the start and stop button. Anyway, been debating whether to buy a new one or get it serviced. Been looking at the Brother Sewing/Embroidery Machine online at Walmart and they just lowered the price even more today to $299. So decided to order one. Hopefully, I will be happy with it; I have never had a Brother sewing machine just Janome. Wish me luck on this decision. Hopefully, I did the right thing!!
I've got one of the cheapest Brothers around. I paid $24 used. And it hasn't failed me yet. Doesn't like thick seams but is can do 6-8 layers on rag quilts.
t
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM

There are universal pedals sold on line, but I bet you'll love the Brother
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Thanks for the replies, I just now took apart my Janome and cleaned and oiled it. The foot pedal seems to be working better. But it always starts acting up after I have sewed for a long period of time. It like it cuts out or pauses. So I guess I will be sewing heavy today to see if that took care of it. The pedal doesn't look like it comes apart or I would clean that also. My husband already looked at that. But I think it has more to do the heavy sewing. I shall see this afternoon.
Look for a mesh type rack that you can set your foot pedal on. Sounds like it may be getting hot from sitting right on the floor. Something that will allow air flow under the pedal.