Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What about silk batting?

I recently bought a silk bat for a quilt I plan to make, thinking that silk would make the quilt be a little less warm. If you have used silk, what has been your experience?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaQuilter
    I recently bought a silk bat for a quilt I plan to make, thinking that silk would make the quilt be a little less warm. If you have used silk, what has been your experience?
    I would be interested in knowing this too. I am making a quilt for my DDIL out of silk squares, combining fabric left from making her wedding gown. I didn't know there was such a thing as silk batting so I will be very much interested in any info on it.

Here is what I found on Google. I guess it ust be pretty new to the market.

http://www.silkthings.com/NEWSILKBAT...NTHEMARKET.htm

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

Hey Featherweight I am wanting a batting that will make my new project into a bedspread instead of a quilt . Do you think this will work good ? It sounds like it might.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene's
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

Hey Featherweight I am wanting a batting that will make my new project into a bedspread instead of a quilt . Do you think this will work good ? It sounds like it might.
    Yes, I am sure it would. I just used W & N on my quilt that I am using for my bedspread. I had to use a dust ruffle as of course it was to short to cover the entire bed to the floor.

Blog Entries
    I took a class quite a few years ago from Roxanne McElroy. (Her daughter, Deirdre, runs the company now.) Roxanne said that silk batting was her very favorite -- easy to hand quilt, and the result was very soft. She passed around a quilt with silk batting and it was wonderful. I believe silk is supposed to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer, but I'm not sure about that.

The biggest reason silk batting has not become more popular over the years is probably because of its cost. I don't know about now, but 100% silk batting used to cost about 10 times what 100% cotton batting cost.

Silk batting is especially desirable for quilted garments because it keeps the fabric thin and soft, not stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaQuilter
    My duvet is cotton,filled with silk and is fabulous, it drapes well, and as someone suggested, it is warm in winter, cool in summer and it is so soft. though this is commercially filled, I cannot see it being any different in how it works. It is very light in weight too.

i know silk in clothing can be both hot & cool (love silk clothing) i would say it would be warm depending on how thick it is