Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

I keep trying to FMQ on my Singer Futura II Model 920 machine. I covered the feed dogs, dropped the presser foot (foot removed), played with the tension... yet... the thread does NOT pull up and catch the bobbin. What am I doing wrong?

If I use my even feed foot and keep the dogs up, I can sort of fmq, but it's not the same. Perhaps that's what I'm left with though. Sigh.
    Teri - always learning, never afraid of a challenge! If I were, I wouldn't have started quilting at my age!

I would try putting in a new needle and/or rethreading your machine and see if that helps...hope so!

I haven't tried this, but I have friends that leave the feed dogs up and put their stitch length to "0", might be worth a shot.
    BJ

Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    I would try putting in a new needle and/or rethreading your machine and see if that helps...hope so!
    My thoughts, too!
    ~~ Pat

Where am I? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i would double check that the presser foot is down...it is easy to miss with the foot off... and the symptoms really sound like that... and bjbaxter's idea sounded like a good idea to try...

Put in a new needle, re-thread, and also check that your bobbin is in correctly....good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have not heard of taking off the foot. I leave mine on. I suggest retheading and making sure your bobbin is seated right. Ask me how I know!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Power Poster
    I don't think it would work without a darning foot on. I think the machine needs one to complete the stitch?

You need some thing to hold the fabric down for the thread to catch. Are you using a darning or other style hopping foot? You could also try using a spring needle instead of a foot to push the fabric down at just the right time.

Blog Entries
    I could only ever get my tension right on my Brother with the feed dogs up. You should still be able to FMQ.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast