Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong with Tumbling block quilt >

What am I doing wrong with Tumbling block quilt

What am I doing wrong with Tumbling block quilt

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM

triangles are so stretchy and add in the points?

meltdown time for the perfectionist.

(that's sort of why i am working on a log cabin after doing a lone star followed by a pin wheel. and you know what? some of the damn logs are wonkavatored. i'm honeybadgered about it though. it's for me

your colours are lovely. it will all work out just fine (after the crying.)

aileen
Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM

ok, so think of a tumbling block as the light shining down from the top of the cube with the lightest on top, med. and then dark on the bottom - just like the sun. I hope this makes sense it will make the cubes really pop! Lots of luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM

What I learned when I did a tumbling blocks quilt is keep the light diamonds on top and you've already done that. I think it doesn't look right to you because it's still segmented and once it's together it's going to be a good-looking quilt. Mine was all diamonds; I ordered pre-cut pieces from Paper Pieces.com because I enjoy English paper piecing. It was easy and I liked doing it. Keep going, you're going to be happy with it when it's finished.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM

I think it is awesome. I love your color choices. Sometimes my points and corners don't exactly match but then when I get it back from the long arm quilter I cannot find them!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 AM

I download free graph paper from the internet. You can find the paper that has hex shapes. Then I take colored pencils and color out the shapes. Next with a dark marker I draw a line between each strip. Finally I follow the colored graph to sew the quilt together.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Hope some one has the answer because I am having problems with the one I am working on. nothing is fitting, no pictures of mine it's hiding in a bag in the closet.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM

When you place two triangles together to stitch them, DON'T match the seam edges...on diagonal cuts you want the amount of the seam allowance to poke out at each end. The "V" formed by the offset should be where your stitches start. That's what's making your pieces not match up when you open them.
Here is a blog that shows how to offset the seam allowances:
http://urban-patchwork.com/?p=996

Scroll down a bit and you will see where this gal put arrows and tells you to offset the edges of the pieces... and also note in that same picture where she starts her 1/4" stitching..right in the "crook" of the "V" formed by the offset.

For your seam points...the above may solve most of that...but make sure you are using the same seam allowance throughout...I don't care if it's 1/4", 3/8", whatever...just stay constant. If you are even a few threads off..your seams will either cut off the points, or the points won't meet.

I love the colors you chose...this is going to be a beautiful quilt!
Marge

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
Ok I see that. What about the fact that the points don't really match up, and that there is sections that hang out more than others? Is that a problem in the over all quilt?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Also...starch the heck out of those pieces. Starch and press (don't slide the iron...press, lift the iron, put it back down, etc.). The starching and pressing will help keep the pieces from stretching out of shape.

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
I have been working off and on. ( ok More off then on) on this quilt for my son since May. I have cut a lot but now that I am putting it all together I am afraid I am doing something wrong. I have taken a lot of pics, hoping you ladies can help me out. Not only see what I am doing wrong but also to get some motivation to finish.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 AM

A key word (I saw) in Quilter's Cache was to sew a SCANT 1/4 inch; and the other postings about NOT matching the dog-ear corners are right on!! I hate the quilt police, but the points should be pretty sharp. Sad, but true. LOL

It's coming along. Would love to see the finished project. You've given me inspiration to go finish some of mine... ttyl...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the help ladies. I still have not tackled it. It stares at me all the time, my husband says GO FINISH IT>>> and when I see it laying there it just screams at me. I don't like that at all. Will have to hide the rows I sewed and start over that way. Maybe tomorrow I will work on it some more. Today I took a nap :-)