Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)? >

What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by saf
Originally Posted by kathy
it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete
Thanks for your explanation Kathy. Like Suzi, I was struggling to understand. Now it all makes sense. I can picture it in my mind now. :thumbup:
saf - I'm sure glad you get it because I can't! I'm down on the floor with the halves in my hands putting them together and still not seeing it. Oh Lordy - and I graduated with Honors for Heaven's sake!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM

take the first halfs off the first row and set them aside then separate the next row in the middle of the block look at it I think you'll see how it sew in row then
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete
LOL - no, the hexes aren't sewn together - they are in halves of 3 triangles each. My brain is simply boggled is all - maybe I should lay them out so that the (proposed) seam is running the opposite way? Can't see where that would make a difference though
Suzi, let me see if I can explain this. You need to change your layout so that the first half hex in the first row is pointing the other direction than the first half hex in the second row. To get a square quilt, you end up loosing some half hexagons.
Check out my OBW here.http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111130-1.htm
I left some hexs to fall out if the border, but notice how on top I have one half hex short side to the left the one next to it and underneath it to the right and so one. Just alternate the orientation of the short side on touching half hexs. Hope I didn't confuse you.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm confused - so I think I shall go shovel out the dog kennels (that always relaxes my brain 'cause it's a totally no-brainer thing to do) and maybe when I return I'll have an "AHA" moment ......... think???
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
saf

Originally Posted by saf
Thanks for your explanation Kathy. Like Suzi, I was struggling to understand. Now it all makes sense. I can picture it in my mind now. :thumbup:
saf - I'm sure glad you get it because I can't! I'm down on the floor with the halves in my hands putting them together and still not seeing it. Oh Lordy - and I graduated with Honors for Heaven's sake!!!
When I'm laying out a design I always seem to end up on the floor too. Maybe while you're down there you could try a quick prayer.... :idea:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Suzi, another verbal explaination:

you take the bottom half of the first hex and sew it to the top half of the next hex (don't start on the top or bottom row). and keep doing this all the way across your quilt

Next 'row' up sew the top half of the first hex that matches the first hex of your previous sewn row and sew it to the bottom half of a different hex. repeat across quilt

Next 'row' up you pick a new hex bottom and sew it to the matching top hex of the previous row. repeat across quilt.

Does that help at all?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
saf

Originally Posted by saf
Originally Posted by saf
When I'm laying out a design I always seem to end up on the floor too. Maybe while you're down there you could try a quick prayer.... :idea:
Go away and sleep on it......this works too (hugs!)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

you sew halves together in straight rows. nothing easier. you just have to watch and match the next row before sewing together. then they will look like whole hex's sewn at one time.
if you make some, lay out half of them in rows, alternating placements of the halves seam, top, bottom, you will see how to do them.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Suzi, YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! Lets see if we can get that lightbulb to turn on, I'm gonna try. Ok, looking at your pic, focusing on bottom right hand corner. Visually remove the 1/2 hexs that are hanging out space(just the half in space now) When you do that, do you see the "row" that is created with "1/2 of a full, then the leftover 1/2 of one you took away, then 1/2 of a full, then the leftover 1/2 of one you took away, etc". I think if you can see that "row" you are on your way. All of your rows will be 1/2 of one hex facing one way, and then next portion is 1/2 of the next hex facing the other way. Hope that didnt muddy the waters even more.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Yes Suzi sometimes you need to get away from the project and clear your mind..I don't think cleaning dog kennels would be my 1st choice tho *LOL* I started a Not your Grandmother's Tumbling Block quilt for my son & Dil as a wedding gift..well here it is 6 1/2 years later and I am still stumped on it!! I started it in a class which the teacher didn't show up for? The shop refunded our money but didn't bother to reschedule the class...A young gal happened to come in the shop and she had taken the class before so she showed us all how to cut the fabric and got us started...but said she had 3 kids at home with her DH so couldn't stay any longer. That is all I got done...
Hope you figure it out..I am a visual learner too..I really need to get this project out and complete it.. every time my DS comes over and I am sewing he says "Oh geez that doesn't look like our wedding quilt Mom"
Happy Stitchin' Linda b.