Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I missing? >

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:53 AM

Default What am I missing?

I found an Antiquities Medallion quilt from Heidi Pridemore using Michael Miller fabrics. It is stunning. However, the directions say to use a 9 degree ruler and cut 41 medallion segments. There is a Note that says there is not an even number of segments. I am so confused because 360 degrees is divisible by 9 and indicates 40 should be number. Sure enough, got the calculator and it confirmed by math. What did I miss? I like stack and whacks and think this would be such a natural pattern for that method. Do you think the 41st one accommodates variations in seam allowances. Help!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 AM

It would have to be seam allowance, although with a consistent seam the angle measurement should stay the same. Maybe some of math gifted people on this board can explain it. I would definitely do as the directions say. Please show us your work as you progress!

Linda in MO
Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Your math is correct. In a perfectly seamed world, 40 segments will be needed. I am also guessing that the extra segment is for insurance in case you need it.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

http://www.readbag.com/michaelmiller...medalli-571c11

Is this the quilt?

If so - it looks like six different fabrics were used for the blades - five of them were used seven times and one of them was used only six times.

I think if one used a different multiple of fabrics like five fabrics repeated 8 times for a total of 40 blades - it would seem like it "should" work out.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM

There are 41 blades in the picture of the pattern shown. If one were dividing/ drawing a circle into 9 degree increments, yes that number of blades is 40. But quilt math is not the same as real math because you are sewing all those pieces together and losing the equivalent of one whole blade with all the seam allowances. Don't worry about the angle. Just like only in 'quilting math' does 2.5 + 2.5 equal to 4.5. (Take a 2.5" square, sew to another 2.5" square, and you will not get a 5" square as a result.)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Or one could use "scant" seam allowances
Old 09-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
There are 41 blades in the picture of the pattern shown. If one were dividing/ drawing a circle into 9 degree increments, yes that number of blades is 40. But quilt math is not the same as real math because you are sewing all those pieces together and losing the equivalent of one whole blade with all the seam allowances. Don't worry about the angle. Just like only in 'quilting math' does 2.5 + 2.5 equal to 4.5. (Take a 2.5" square, sew to another 2.5" square, and you will not get a 5" square as a result.)
I agree that you have allow for seam allowance in the size of the patch, but seam allowance does not affect the angle. if you sew a square patch, you wind up with a smaller square, but the angles are still 90 degrees. if you cut a wedge with a 9 degree ruler, sew it to its neighbors, you wind up with a smaller wedge, but it's still 9 degrees (if you sewed perfect seam allowances) and it will still take only 40 perfectly cut and sewn wedges to make the circle.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I agree that you have allow for seam allowance in the size of the patch, but seam allowance does not affect the angle. if you sew a square patch, you wind up with a smaller square, but the angles are still 90 degrees. if you cut a wedge with a 9 degree ruler, sew it to its neighbors, you wind up with a smaller wedge, but it's still 9 degrees (if you sewed perfect seam allowances) and it will still take only 40 perfectly cut and sewn wedges to make the circle.
Agree that the seam allowance does not affect the angle. There are 41 blades, and thus there are 40 seams (40 angles radiating from center of circle.).
Old 09-17-2015, 04:49 PM

WELL, thank you for explaining this. I am no good in the real math world, but now I have hope for the quilt math world.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 PM

I'm not sure about that being the right math for either the "real world" or quilting. Typically to sew together a medallion, you would sew the pieces for one half together, then sew the pieces for the other half together & then seam the two halves together. Maybe try doing one with that extra piece #41 cut & see if it's necessary. If not, I'd go with 40. I'm with PaperPrincess. Larger seams should result in a smaller diameter circle. 41 pieces cut on a 9 degree angle shouldn't make a true circle unless you fail to maintain each of the angles in exactly by a fraction of a degree when seaming them together.