Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is approx wof for fleece? >

What is approx wof for fleece?

What is approx wof for fleece?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 AM

I'm getting ready to make my first rag quilt (I saw the Missouri Star YouTube tutorial, and I'm ready!). I'm going to JoAnns to buy the fleece today since it's 50% off. When I have browsed fleece in the past (I've never worked with it), it looked like the bolts were wider than regular cotton bolts. Is the wof still 40-42" for fleece? Or am I right that those were wider bolts, and if so, what is approximate wof?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 AM
bj

I'm not sure exactly how wide, but I'm thinking it's almost double the normal width of cotton fabric. It's been a long time since I bought any off the bolt. I just looked at some online and it was 58" wide.

edit: I think what Holice says is right about it not fraying. The ones I've made and knotted the edges for fringe haven't frayed at all.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

i'm not sure fleese will fray.....isn't it a knitted fabric. You need a loosely woven fabric such as flannel or homespun. if fleese does fray wouldn't it fray too much.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
i'm not sure fleese will fray.....isn't it a knitted fabric. You need a loosely woven fabric such as flannel or homespun. if fleese does fray wouldn't it fray too much.
*Rewatches the YouTube videos* OMG, it does say "flannel" not "fleece". Well that's a horse of a different color! Good catch, thanks.

After a quick board search, it looks like a few members say fleece will work, but not as well as flannel:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-76074-1.htm

Now I gotta find the flannel section in my Joanns! Or do it in the fleece anyway, since I finally decided to be brave enough to try it.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

most fleece is 58" wide...sometimes it's 60" but the norm seems to be 58"...so 2 yards gives you enough for a nice size throw...58" x 72"
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Regarding the fraying: I had seen a description on John Flynn's website (http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/) where he will take a weed whacker to the quilt to fray it. I showed it to DH and he suggested a certain drill attachment that will do something similar without scaring me as much as weed whacking a quilt. So I think the fraying will be fine. Besides, I don't like how it looks when it's completely frayed! :D
Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I'm getting ready to make my first rag quilt (I saw the Missouri Star YouTube tutorial, and I'm ready!). I'm going to JoAnns to buy the fleece today since it's 50% off. When I have browsed fleece in the past (I've never worked with it), it looked like the bolts were wider than regular cotton bolts. Is the wof still 40-42" for fleece? Or am I right that those were wider bolts, and if so, what is approximate wof?

Thanks!

I'm in the process of making a project with fleece that I bought at Joann's. The fleece I have is 60" wide and did not fray at all after washing and drying. The salvage edge of the fabric tends to roll under after being cut off so be sure to press out before measuring your fabric

Andie
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM

I have made several rag quilts, and I use 3 layers of flannel. It rags beatifully. Don't wash it before making the quilt. Good luck and would love to see a picture when finished.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

We sell a LOT of fleece that people use to make tie blanket with. It is 60" wide and does not fray at all.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:01 PM

If I were using fleece in a rag quilt, I would use it just like it was batting. Cut it smaller than your top and bottom layers. You would then only be cutting the top and bottom for your ragged look.