Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the average size of your quilts >

What is the average size of your quilts

What is the average size of your quilts

Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 PM

queen for the kids and king for us. We don't use quilts to snuggle in. I make the kids use blankets a nd keep them folded in the closet.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 AM

I've made some baby quilts approx 40x60 up to twin XL but I've only made 8 quilt so far and don't want to make anything larger because it was hard enough quilting that twin XL on my home machine and I don't want to send them to someone for quilting.

One day I will have my own longarm hehe :)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:32 AM

I spent yrs making K size for our bed,Qsize for DDs.Now I'm doing throws a lot & some miniatures.Just sent last K size to LA quilter.No room for more K size quilts,fabric is more $$$ & tired of making same block quilts.But that's just me.

Originally Posted by Pigzrule219
when you aren't making baby quilts, a quilt for a specific size bed, wall hanging or lap quilt for throwing over your legs ? I see all these beautiful quilts everyone is making or have made. I'm curious how you decide what size quilt you are going to make to curl up on the couch with, the every day ones.
Thanks
Sheri
Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 AM

I decide based on who its for and how it will be used. On average - 65"x85" for the couch...I like to wrap myself right up. My first couch throw is 50x70, and its ok to use (I'm under it right now!), cozy and all, but I just don't find it big enough.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pigzrule219
when you aren't making baby quilts, a quilt for a specific size bed, wall hanging or lap quilt for throwing over your legs ? I see all these beautiful quilts everyone is making or have made. I'm curious how you decide what size quilt you are going to make to curl up on the couch with, the every day ones.
Thanks
Sheri
Usually queen size, unless I get carried away, then king size. That way, it doesn't matter who they are for, usually they will fit any ones' bed.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Thank you all who responded. I was just curious about how you judged the size quilt you made for every day use. I know when I was working in fabrics and ppl would ask about fleece blankets, I always told them to go by how tall the person was they were making it for.
When I made rag lap quilts for my DH and my dad, I made them different as my DH is over 6 foot. I also added a fleece pocket on the back so they could stick their feet in to be extra warm.
Thanks again for all the responses. It was just a curiosity thing on my part. :)