Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are babylock cards? >

What are babylock cards?

What are babylock cards?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm thinking about an Ellure. It doesn't have a USB port. What are the cards? Does it require some special program or card reader? Are they expensive?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM

I have the Ellure Plus, and mine does have a USB port as well as the card slot, however, by todays standards, the cards are outdated...I have had my machine for 2 years and it is essentially outdated. If I had it to do all over again, I think I would go with a Bernina, they seem so much more versatile, As inexperienced as I was when i bought my machine, I wish I would have done a little more comparison with different brands. I have to still purchase the software adaptor for the computer, it is almost $400! So, I never did that to be able to hook up my computer to my machine, just not cost effective. My machine is also pretty limited to built in embroidery fonts and patterns. I did get a good deal when I bought my machine, it was 60% off, 2 years ago, I paid $1500 for it. I love it for sewing, haven't had any problems, and it does beautiful embroidery, but just too limited, I would invest a little more now and get something different. Hope this helps! The cards are too hard to find, even on ebay.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM

You can get a ultimate box with card for about 150 you can download designs off the internet there are alot of free designs out there
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

FYI:

If you are thinking of purchasing a Bernina, check the bobbin shuttle to ensure it is not made out of plastic, they had to replace mine, I wore it out in three years. They apparently are not making new ones with plastic shuttles for the bobbin.

Also do not pull your thread from the needle backwards out of the machine (Up through the tension and thread guides, wears out the inside of the Bernina, it doesn't like that either), cut the thread at the top and pull down thru the needle and put into the garbage, when changing threads - other than that have had no problems, best machine I have ever owned...I have made approximately 35 quilts with this machine and other smaller items along with some garments in those years without any other problems. I highly recommend Bernina products
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your quick replies. I've been researching everywhere. I think I'm going to pass on this used machine that requires cards. On the surface it appears a good buy, but not after I add a card writer and cards! For what I'd invest total I can get a newer machine with USB.

Thanks again.