Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat? >

What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat?

What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Default What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat?

Hi All, would love your opinions please,

I made a couple of tablerunners for my cousin and was at her house last night and she had them out which was nice. However, I was disappointed that after she washed them they shrunk and got bunchy....they still lay mostly flat but I didn't like what I saw. It would be fine for a quilt, in fact, I would like that, but it didn't make me too happy to see that with the tablerunners. I used 100% polyester Pellon fleece hoping that it might not shrink much but I confess to not knowing much about different types of batting. My cousin asked me to make another one so I guess she didn't mind but I think that a lot of you might agree that you would want them to lay really flat.

Is there anything I could use so my tablerunners and toppers can lay flat after machine washing and drying? I have several tops done that I want to finish off.

As always, thanks so much and have a wonderful weekend!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM

I havent made any tablerunners yet but I was wondering the same thing..what kind of batting would be best? I usually use low loft for lighter projects. No name brand in particular.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM

I use fusible fleece however I iron mine when they come out of the dryer.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 AM

I use preshrunk Hobbs 80/20 or Quilter's Dream poly. I've never had a poly batting of any kind shrink. I have one table runner that the binding shrank up and now it won't lay flat. I am pretty sure that binding is a Wal-Mart cotton broadcloth since it's a solid and that's the only place I would have gotten a solid back when I made that table runner.

To preshrink batting, put it in the washer and fill with hot water. Do NOT let it agitate!!! Turn the washer to spin and then put it in the dryer.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 AM

I think that the problem may have been that you didn't wash the fabrics first.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

If you used 100% poly there should be no shrinkage ... from the batting.

However, if you did not pre-wash and pre-shrink your fabrics, that would explain them not laying flat.

Another cause could be that if you stretched the binding as you were putting it on, that with the washing it has gone back to its norm, and causing irregularities.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Pellon fleece is all I have ever used and I've never had a placemat or table runner shrink or not lay flat. I hope the new is like the old because I'd cry if any of my Spicy Spirals didn't lay nicely. I do prewash the fabric, but not the fleece.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi All, would love your opinions please,

I made a couple of tablerunners for my cousin and was at her house last night and she had them out which was nice. However, I was disappointed that after she washed them they shrunk and got bunchy....they still lay mostly flat but I didn't like what I saw. It would be fine for a quilt, in fact, I would like that, but it didn't make me too happy to see that with the tablerunners. I used 100% polyester Pellon fleece hoping that it might not shrink much but I confess to not knowing much about different types of batting. My cousin asked me to make another one so I guess she didn't mind but I think that a lot of you might agree that you would want them to lay really flat.

Is there anything I could use so my tablerunners and toppers can lay flat after machine washing and drying? I have several tops done that I want to finish off.

As always, thanks so much and have a wonderful weekend!
I don't use batting. I simply find a fabric a bit heavier than the top and use it. Something like a good flannel or duck or denim or something about that weight. A runner doesn't need any loft, IMO!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Hi...actually, I didn't wash the fabrics but I made the tablerunners with a jelly roll and one with a charm pack. Should I wash the top first before I put it together? Thanks everyone!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 AM

I've made a table runner with jelly roll but it was starched and pressed so maybe it got
a little preshrunk there. I also used Pellon fusible fleece. I washed it on gentle cycle with
cold water and dried it flat on a towel. If you wash the top you might get a lot of fraying.
You could try soaking it in hot water then drying it flat on a towel. I find table runners and
wall hangings to be more delicate to handle than quilts. You might want to offer the recipient the care instructions as well.

If you soak or wash, don't forget to so the same for the backing and binding.