Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what batting should I use? >

what batting should I use?

what batting should I use?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Default what batting should I use?

I have learned alot since I have been reading this board. I was not aware that the type of batting makes such a difference in the finished quilt. I like a flat look, not puffy or thick. Also, I want something that will be warm without being too hot. I have been using polyester because it doesn't shrink, but you ladies say that it doesn't provide any warmth. I live in one of the most densely populated areas in the country but I don't have a fabric store near me. I have to order my supplies, usually from Connecting Threads. I noticed that some of you wash your batting before adding it to the quilt. How do you wash batting? Doesn't it shred? Can you use a washing machine that has an agitator? Thanks in advance for your responses. I have been sewing for over 55 years and am still learning.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Natural fibers, such as cotton, breathe so I find quilts made with cotton batting to be much more comfortable than poly. As far as your batting, you can pre shrink it, you don't really wash it. You get it wet either in the machine or a laundry or bath tub, then tumble dry. DO NOT AGITATE! Warm and natural has instructions on their website, under wash and care instructions:
http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 10-29-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Welcome, from Texas! My favorite batting is Warm & Natural/Warm & White. I buy it at Hobby Lobby, with a 40% off coupon.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Dream Wool batting is a wonderful batting that does not shrink---warm, but lightweight- i live in a pretty cold climate & love my quilt with the wool batting & flannel backing- it is so cozy & warm!
personally i can not imagine pre-washing a batt.
if you want your quilt warm but flat you could always use a layer of pre-washed double sided flannel in the center in place of batting...fleece is also very warm, does not shrink & comes in different (loft's)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM

IF you decide to pre-shrink your batting, make sure it has a scrim on it first otherwise you'll have nothing but a bunch of loose fluff.

I personally prefer an organic batting, so far I've only used cotton (warm and natural). I like the organic batting because it breathes unlike polyester, but from what I hear the cotton/poly blends (80/20) are pretty breathable as well.

I just purchased some wool batting on sale recently but have not had an opportunity to use it yet. The wool batting seems to have more "space" or "air" in it than the warm & natural batting, and it's thicker - but overall lighter in weight and the drape on it is much more to my taste (nice and supple - whereas W&N can be quite stiff especially when quilted heavy which is my preference).

I adore wool clothing because it keeps me warm, but cool - if you know what I mean. I am rarely too hot in wool because it breathes with you - even more than cotton. And it's more absorbant and wicks any perspiration away from you. In the winter I live in wool socks (a trick I learned from my father) and my feet are always warm. Under normal conditions my feet sweat a lot (genetics I inherited from Dad), and because they sweat they then get cold because they are wet. Cotton socks just get wet and stay wet - the wool socks wick the moisture away from my feet and my feet remain warm and dry. I'm hoping the wool batting will perform the same way and when I *finally* make the quilt for my bed my husband will not get too hot and I will not get too cold.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM

I, too, use Warm & Natural/white. I do not pre-shrink it as I like a 'crinkly' look to my quilts. I also like it as it's a natural fiber. Hence is typically is cooler in hot weather and warmer in cool weather. Generally any natural fibers will follow suit (wool, silk, cotton) versus the poly's. The W&N is generally also a fairly 'heavy' batting which, to me, makes a nice weight quilt.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:02 PM

I love, love, love wool batting. All the things that Doghousemom described for wool applies ta the wool batting. It is a li'le bit fluffier than cotton, but some poly's are a lot fluffier than either wool or cotton. It makes up for the cost by bein' the best ta hand quilt through. The needle slides through it like butter. I git much better stitches w/wool. I try ta buy it on sale.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

I like Hobbs Thermore - it's poly and very thin.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I'm a "Warm" girl. Warm and Natural, Warm and White, and Warm Blend. Warm Blend is a 50-50 cotton/poly batting that is nice and thin. It needles well and has the best characteristics of both types.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I used to use Warm and Natural, but find that the drape of it is more stiff than other options, so I don't use it anymore.

My all-time favorite batting is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton, which is becoming more and more difficult to find. It produces a flatter quilt that is very soft. You *cannot* preshrink this one; it will come apart in water. Plus it requires closer quilting than many battings -- every 2 inches. I find it is really worth it for soft baby quilts.

I like Hobbs 80/20 a lot for large quilts (twin size and bigger), but have gone off it for baby quilts. I just finished two small quilts, one with Mountain Mist and one with the Hobbs, and the MM quilt is nicer. The Hobbs distorted more in the wash, with the result that the edges are a little wavy instead of flat, plus it is not as soft as the Mountain Mist.

I have some Hobbs wool batting, but haven't tried it yet. Other battings I really want to try are Quilter's Dream request and select cotton (especially for crib quilts), and Hobbs polydown. I have always preferred cotton batting to poly, but I have heard some good things about the polydown -- faster to dry for kids' quilts, and very durable -- so I would like to try it.

I never preshrink batting, as I like the crinkled look that comes with cotton. Poly doesn't shrink, so there's no use in prewashing it.