Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Was The Best Class/Teacher Experience You've Had? >

What Was The Best Class/Teacher Experience You've Had?

What Was The Best Class/Teacher Experience You've Had?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:14 PM

I took a class this summer with Karen Kay Buckley. Probably the best teacher I have had the pleasure to work with. She was on time, extremely prepared, had an overhead projector, samples of each stage of the process, and samples of thread, needles, and pins that she uses.

I took another class with someone I know and she had "must haves" on her list when taking her class. It was a lot of money for things that were unnecessary. I think she was trying to have the quilt shop make money. My problem with this is, suppose you don't like this particular part of quilting.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Took a machine quilting class from Harriet Hargrave. I didn't think I would learn anything more but I walked away with a lot more knowledge of machine quilting then when I first entered her class. I have been a big fan of her's ever since.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:48 PM

My best experiences have been with Craftsy. They film either right over the instructor's shoulder or directly in front of them. Class materials are provided and rarely do you need to buy extra "things". Plus you can make video notes and re-watch parts of the segments as many times as you need to - can't do that in regular classes! Some classes are a bit better than others but I don't regret a penny that I have spent on them. You can wait until the class you want goes on sale and most of them will be $20.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 AM

I've taken many courses over the years and enjoyed most of them. Like other members I want the instructor to be prepared with samples and not just "winging it" as she goes along.
Rachel Kincey Clarke (sp?) was a very interesting instructor who also shared African American stories as she went along. Jinny Beyer was such a wealth of knowledge and shared so many of her quilts as samples of what she was discussing.
Enjoy your students and they'll enjoy your classes!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 AM

I just had it last week. It was a hand quilting class at The Old Country Store in Intercourse, Pa. and the teacher was Lois Zimmerman. She is an excellent teacher, and I learned a great deal, including how to catch the back when you are hand quilting. That was always my greatest problem, but through her explanation, I finally got it.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:48 PM

The things I value and look for in a class are almost all the things you listed.

A couple of things that are important to me.
1. A good explanation of all supplies and skill levels needed for the class.
2. An even better handout for the class with plenty of room to make notes.
3. A teacher who works with every student, not just the one who ends up with the sewing machine that doesn't work or didn't pick out any fabric, or forgot to get her supplies, etc.
4. If an error is made in cutting or sewing....hearing the teacher say "We can fix that" and showing how to do it.
5. Having a reasonable expectation from beginning piecers as to what they can actually get done in the class time.
6. Show and tell, even if you aren't through, at the end of the class.

The best class I ever took was with Judy Niemeyer. She explained what she was doing and trying to achieve. Tips for doing the paper piecing faster, almost like chain stitching, and then she let us work on that segment, all the while walking around seeing if she could offer guidance. Then she stopped everyone and explained the next segment. All of us were experienced quilters and everyone left with more knowledge than when they came. A great day!

One of the worst experiences I ever had in a class was where we had a self proclaimed "bitch" student in the class. Oh yes, she announced it. She was loud, obnoxious, complained about everything, questioned every statement the teacher made and further complained when she did it her way and it didn't work. She ruined the classes for all the rest of us. No one could figure out what to do with her to make her happy. If you are unfortunate enough to have one of her in your class, please be ready to figure out how to handle the situation.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:07 PM

My absolute best experience was the beginner's quilting classes I took when I first started quilting. I have sewn for more years than I'd like to say,,,,, but learning to quilt was different.
The instructor (who is a member of this board) had clear instructions that not only allowed us to master the basics vs just putting together blocks. She made it fun and we had a small class size that allowed for individualized instruction.We all ended up with a finished sampler, layered and basted for quilting as well as the knowledge to finish the quilting and binding.
Many times, my friend who took her classes elsewhere will ask how I learned to do something, and I can say "Kaaren taught me "
Old 11-23-2014, 03:02 PM

I compiled a list from everyone's answers and my own feelings.
What make a good quilting class

At the time of sign up
State the skill levels needed for the class
State students must be familiar with their sewing machines
Supple list
Make a handout of a list of to dos; example – before class cut 32 4 1/2 inch squares
Doesn’t require specialty tools that may never be used again

At the start of class
Instructor on time for the class
Provides handouts – drawings, written instructions, examples and plenty of room to make notes
Has samples of thread, needles and pins used

During class
Well thought out lesson plan – show exactly what needs to be done at each stage
Breaks each step of the process down into baby steps
Focused on the technique
Super organized – supplies ready, pieces cut for every stage of the process
Has a completed sample for every part of the project
Entertaining, engaging and supportive
Patient – is able to spot a student in trouble and delicately step in with a
(here let me show you something that will make it easier for you)
Works with every student
Gives time to chat and admire each other’s efforts during working on the project
Makes sure students were well underway with their projects before leaving
Be prepared to deal with an unruly student

Last edited by juneayerza; 11-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 AM

I like a class where the teacher is prepared and organized and is not threatened by comments and suggestions from class members. I have found that I get good tips and suggestions from other class members. I don't want to sit in class and take notes. I want to sew so that I can understand and get help if needed. I like a class that is fun.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 AM

My biggest dislike has been poorly written instructions, reference materials and handouts.

I like clear, step by step notes or instructions that are typed NOT handwritten. I can't read my own crappy handwriting let alone someone else's. I prefer short and simple bulleted instructions than a narrative style.

Also, get someone to "test drive" instructions or read through your notes and handouts. Proofread; double check measurements and be consistant in style. I seen mixed styles of measurements used in the same handout - "1/2 in" and "one half inch". And believe it or not I have also seen imperial and metric mixed.

On any illustrations or drawings, make sure these are well drawn and relevent. One instructor had a really good idea - she scanned the samples front and back of the quilt block, then printed these out in colour; good for remembering peicing sequences and which way to press seams.

And on cutting and stitching instructions - indicate bias direction!

Worst experience - I once attended a workshop where "b*tch student" constantly talked over the instructor then openly criticised another's student's work. The instructor didn't do anything about it and the poor woman was so humiliated she didn't come back after the lunch break.

Good luck. Exciting times ahead for you.

HettyB