Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is the best cotton batting to use for hand quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I used Tuscany 100% cotton once (low loft) and it was easy to hand quilt. The look of the quilt was very traditional.
    Love your quilt! Nice job!

I prefer Quilters Dream Select or wool. Really enjoy hand quilting and don't want to have to fight the materials I am using.

a batting without scrim is usually desirable for hand stitching- it is the scrim in the warm & natural that makes it difficult to needle-
    hobbs heirloom is a wonderful cotton batting for hand quilting- but any without scrim is good.
    scrim is a (fabric/netting) that hold the batting fibers together- giving it that held together/blanket property
    cotton batts without scrim can be pulled apart easily- batts with scrim can not-they need to be cut.
    also a batt without scrim usually says the recommended quilting distance is 2"-4" apart- batts with scrim can be quilted much further apart (because they do not tend to separate)
    lots of great cotton batts made for hand quilting- you do not have to use polyester if you prefer cotton.

I use W&N with no issues. My friend uses Quilters Dream. Has a wonderful drape to it. If I didn't have a roll of W&N I might think about switching. I usually get about 8-10 SPI with W&N and that's fine with me.

Fantastic hand quilting - WOW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2